Unsatisfactory Tone

dahhbuzz

Hi All. I play a Mex Fat Strat (ssh) and I changed the bridge(humbucker) and neck(single) to Seymour Duncans APS(H) Alnico II. To my suprise the sound appears to be very bright and extremely thin. On stage even through a 100w Marshall with the treble turned all the waaaay down my guitar sounds like its a cigar tin box guitar Pls advise

sounds like you might have wired them out of phase..'course i just woke up and haven't had any coffee yet so i could be wrong. :D

by the way, now that i'm a little more awake try reversing the green and black wires on one of the pups and see if that doesn't correct it.

Not to jump on the band wagon or anything, but....been there done that, slaped my hand on my head when I figured it out. Unclej once again is right.

George

For starters, the output from the pickups is going to be a lot quieter than the stock pickups because the APS and APH pickups use Alnico II magnets, which are very weak. The stockers used cheaper ceramic mags that are much more powerful. Check the red and white wires on the humbucker and make sure they're not grounding out against something and inadvertantly splitting the 'bucker.

Thx guys will swap wires. But I have ddble checked and the wires are just as recommended in SD wire diagrams. None the less will swap. I did realise the sound would not be as loud due to the alnico II but I recon the sound is tooooooooooo damn thin.

I swapped wires and the sound was even worse. So I have reverted to my Old pup which came with the guitar. The Mumbucker sounds ok though. Could the Neck PUP be a dodgy one or is the output meant to be that low?

Sounds dodgy. Seems to me that SD is very good about replacing pickups for you, though, if you find the tone to be dissatisfactory. I could be wrong, but I believe I read about it one time.

Greg