Scarf Joint Jig

This is a link to Kathy Matsushita's page. If you haven't happened upon her site yet. She is a school teacher that builds guitars during the summers. She really is an inspiration to all. And shows us that anyone can build a guitar with a little practice.

Scarf joint jig

I've seen that one before, and it's simply awesome.

Also worth considering, though if you're an absolute perfectionist you might want to retrofit it so that it can ride along the...er... slot... thingy...

Lee Valley taper jig

You'd obviously have to stack a piece of scrap behind the piece being scarfed, and the jig itself isn't particularly tall, so you'd have to take precautions for consistency; however, it seems like a useful bit of kit for tapering necks, too, depending on the order in which you do your steps. I suppose if nothing else, it could be used to make a tapered 'template' neck and then you could use your router on the template, if that's the way you need to do it.

Anyhow, Kathy's jig is superior for the specific task, but I thought I'd throw that taper jig out there, in case people hadn't seen it.

Greg

Most mitre saws won't give you the angle you need unless you put the wood perpendicular to the...er... is it still called a fence on a mitre saw? And then, since the wood is perpendicular, you can't go deep enough with it, not by a long shot. Also, home-sized mitre saws don't always have the height to do it. So, you'd end up having to make a jig of some sort anyhow, just to keep the wood stable as you brought the mitre saw down. I considered it when doing my guitar, and no matter how I looked at it with my home mitre saw, it wasn't going to happen.

Greg