Converting A Right-handed To A Left-handed Neck?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'm planning to build my first guitar. Since I'm on a pretty tight budget I'm trying to get most of the parts from eBay but for a lefty it's quite hard to find the right neck. So I was thinking... couldn't I just take any righty-neck and rebuild the headstock (like it's described in Steven Kersting's headstock repair tutorial)? What do you guys think? Would it be worth the risk of ruining a perfectly good right-handed neck or should I better wait until I find a real lefty-neck?

I think the nut would be more of an issue than the headstock. Some necks have reversed headstocks anyway, so it wouldn't really be such a problem to leave the headstock as is (or go for a 3 per side headstock).

The nut slots need to be the correct depths for each string....deeper for the bass strings. Depending on the nut, you'll either need to get a new nut, fill the deeper nut slots and refile the nut slots, or possibly - with a heck of a lot of luck - you may be able to just take the nut out and turn it around.

In any case you'll have to check that the slots in the nut are correct in your lefty set up.

Cheers,

Brian D.

This is gonna sound dumb. And I've never tried this but, couldn't you just take the nut and flip it. Most cheap fender types are plastic so it may be hard to get out without breaking it. But hey, why not try if you're going to replace it anyway.

This is gonna sound dumb. And I've never tried this but, couldn't you just take the nut and flip it. Most cheap fender types are plastic so it may be hard to get out without breaking it. But hey, why not try if you're going to replace it anyway.

Actually I did that with my first guitar. I used a screwdriver and the nut came off quite easy.

I was also able on my squier, able to knock out the nut...

The thing to be careful is when your putting the nut back in, if you glue it back in, MAKE SURE its perfectly in the middle otherwise it could cause the Low/High E to be off the fret board

~~ Slain Angel ~~

lol yea, my gut tells me this could be somewhat useful!