A Nest Of Vipers

Well, here is the results of my latest project, I've been doing the paint work on electric violins for Mark Wood. Mark has been a huge inspiration to me since I was about 11 years old. His violin playing is amazing, he is truly the Steve Vai of the violin. He sent me 5 of his Viper's and one Saber. The cool thing about the Vipers is they are not only available as fretted instruments, but he also builds 4, 5, 6, and 7 string versions. Sadly my camera does not do justice to any of these instruments, the colors are incredible, I'm very pleased with how they came out, the only difficult part was that I had 2 weeks to do the first 4, the last 2 showed up on Tuesday July 5th and had to be shipped today, July 11th.

So, enjoy "A Nest Of Vipers"

Finally, it's cool to play the violin.............

A%20nest%20of%20vipers.jpg

For more pics click here

http://pics.lgmguitars.com/pics/A%20nest%20of%20Vipers/

Awesome. :D

Am I dumb or just stupid? How does he hold that sucker in place? Using traditional posture but with the 'extensions' wrapped around his neck?

Greg

Awesome.  :D

Am I dumb or just stupid?  How does he hold that sucker in place?  Using traditional posture but with the 'extensions' wrapped around his neck?

Greg

I was wondering the exact same thing. I play violin and I can't imagine it'd be comfortable to play those... LGM, any pictures of Mark Wood playing one?

Well, that's the beauty with the Poly's I spray, I only need 24 hours before I can sand and buff, if I use the UV lamp I can sand and buff in 3 hours, but if I can leave it 24 I prefer it, there is a little less shrinking that way. 2 Part Poly's are the way to go assuming you have the facility to use them, and are willing to spend the bucks to get them. The poly clear I use is quite literally about 10X the cost of laquer, but not having to wait a month, and being able to do all the coats I need in an afternoon make up for that cost over laquer very quickly.

*** is up with the back of the necks on those things?

or am i just seeing things..

Those massive humps are supposed to be a...reference point, I guess, when you're shifting into higher positions on the neck. You could normally use the body as a reference point but these violins are obviously....differently shaped, so you'd need another reference point.

Also,

LGM, do you know how the tuning pegs work on these violins? because the headstock definately doesn't look like that of a normal violin.

Oh yea, those are AWESOME looking violins btw.

Edited by canuckguitarist

I don't really know why that hump is there other than it would give the traditional feel of the body joint on a regular violin, don't really get it myself, I'd kind of think that if you're doing everything else so sleek and unconventionally you'd do a full neck, at least I would, but the sales of the violins speaks otherwise :D I'm just really proud to be working with Mark Wood, an incredible musician, great person, and a childhood idol!

These are very cool violin designs. I like the V's best. The overall look is awesome. Nice work on the colors too. They all look incredibly vibrant. Your poly setup sounds pretty nice. Lacquer sure takes forever to dry... (I am waiting to buff a pair of guitars now).