Action All Screwed Up After Blocking Trem

i just blocked off my floating trem. im finding that i have to raise the bridge up really high to stop the strings hitting the frets when i fret above the 11 or 12 fret. the action on the 12th fret at the mo is about 3mm which i think is really wrong and should be no more than 2mm ( on the low E string). is it possible that as my guitar was without strings for the past month, the neck needs time to settle in again? ( its an ibanez super thin wizard II neck). also, until i get this sorted, is there any point in me attempting to adjust the intonation?

Edited by fguihen

i just blocked off my floating trem. im finding that i have to raise the bridge up really high to stop the strings hitting the frets when i fret above the 11 or 12 fret. the action on the 12th fret at the mo is about 3mm which i think is really wrong and should be no more than 2mm. is it possible that as my guitar was without strings for the past month, the neck needs time to settle in again? ( its an ibanez super thin wizard II neck). also, until i get this sorted, is there any point in me attempting to adjust the intonation?

How did you go about blocking the trem? There is a correct way the bridge needs to lay. Just curious.

absolutely nothing should have changed when you blocked your trem unless you changed the angle of it, which you shouldn't have, you should have just blocked it where it sits.

i have a schaller floyd rose. all i done was measure the gap between the trem block and the wall of the trem cavity when the trem is flush with the guitar top. i cut a piece of hard wood to fit in here and wedged it in.the trem block is not at an angle, it is perpendicular to the guitar face. im wondering if the trem block ( and trem) should be at a slight angle and not flush with the face of the guitar. The guitar hasnt been strung for over a month so i was thinkin that the neck needs time to settle back to being under pressure. not sure though

absolutely nothing should have changed when you blocked your trem unless you changed the angle of it, which you shouldn't have, you should have just blocked it where it sits.

i have a schaller floyd rose. all i done was measure the gap between the trem block and the wall of the trem cavity when the trem is flush with the guitar top. i cut a piece of hard wood to fit in here and wedged it in.the trem block is not at an angle, it is perpendicular to the guitar face. im wondering if the trem block ( and trem) should be at a slight angle and not flush with the face of the guitar. The guitar hasnt been strung for over a month so i was thinkin that the neck needs time to settle back to being under pressure. not sure though

The baseplate should be parallel with the surface of the guitar if setup is correct. If you measured and wedged it, my guess it that when you got the wedge in place, it made the tremelo sit back farther than what it should, thus lowering your action considerably. Now the only way to get the right string height over the frets, is to raise it up real high. I haven't looked at your guitar, but I'm assuming from your information that this is the case. What you should have done is what LGM said, tune the guitar up, then block it being sure not to raise or lower it too much in the process. Then the bridge would more than likely be in the correct position.