Les Paul Junior?

Hey i am looking for a new guitar i would like to buy a gibson sg standard but i dont have that much. I really like the looks and simplicity of the gibson les paul junior (the price is good too). But i dont know about the single coil p-90 pickup i have never played a guitar with p-90 pickups. But i have played other single coils like strats and teles. Now the music i play i dont need full blown crazy distortion i usually have my gain on 6-7 but will i get a nice warm distortion or am i gonna get a loud sharp annoying distortion that i get out of standard strats. So the question i am asking is should i go for the les paul junior or the equally priced les paul special sl or the sg faded

Thanks

P90 pickups have a fairly sharp attack, but I rather like the sound of them. I can't say for sure that you'll like them, though, because it's so subjective. They ARE still single-coils, though, so they won't sound like a humbucker at all.

Depending on how much you like the look of this and how much you're willing to spend, Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan (among others, likely), make P90-sized humbuckers that are direct replacements without the need for modifying your guitar. So, in theory, as long as you don't mind accepting that you *may* need to spend another $100, you could get this guitar, and then if you hate the P90, you could swap it out.

You can probably sell the P90 out of it for $40 on eBay, thereby making your actual upgrage cost only $60 instead. :D

Greg

P90s are my favorites, and I really like the simplicity of the LP Jr....just classic, if you ask me.

To me, P90s have more bite than humbuckers but get a much fuller sound than strat-type single coils, more midrange. It's definitely a pickup that can stand on its own in the bridge position --no neck pickup necessary.

Of course, when I think P90s, I think of Johnny Thunders' LP TV Jr...but he used to boost his amp to 10 to get that sound.

Only problem with P90s is that you're stuck with that form, unless you're willing to route your guitar a bit.

P90s have a wonderful tone and LPjrs and SGs are both extremely expresive with them- Mahogany and p90s is an excellent combo-

As previously mentioned they are bright and cutting, but much thicker than a strat pup- Or from an Hbuking pov they are thinner with more bite- Think who live at leeds or practically any early SG work (that's veryone in the 60s:)

One major issue that you need to consider- I dumped my p90 strat in the 70s because the hum is even worse than an unshileded strat- Sheidling can help sum, but if you play live this can be a major detriment-

However you can get very similar tones from stacked p90s like SD- Or I'm going to the trobule of designing a gtr that will have noise canceling in most configurations for this very reason-

BTW, you really don't need the gibson name to pull this off- There are tones of very good LPjr and SG clones out there and considering their simplicity, what you hear is what you get-

Other than the name plate, or if you are going for a more custom approcah consider the many copies out there-

Or if you want to pay near Gibson prices, go up a level to the PRS p90-

Ah, the Junior has dog-ear....

Hrm...

Not sure about this one; my knowledge has run out. The humbucker P90 retrofits I've seen are for soapbar, though I'm sure you can find dogear somewhere.

Greg

If you're feeling industrious, you could get a dogear cover, cut the ears off, and graft them onto the DiMarzios.

I know you can cut and reglue those covers, because Dan Erlewine modded a dogear cover that was too tall after he fixed the bridge on a Junior. It's in a back issue of Vintage Guitar.

I don't think I'd try heat. I'm not sure I remember what he used on that cover, but superglue would be one choice. Epoxy is another. See if you can find that back issue of VG. He also explains how he sanded and polished the modded cover.

But before you cut anything, test your glue on an inconspicuous area to be sure there's no adverse reaction. You know, like bubbling or smoking or exploding or something. The main idea is to go slow and be smart.

Here's an interesting quote:

"I'm going on record here as saying that the 'fifties Les Paul Junior is the best-sounding electric guitar ever made. Fender buffs may choose to disagree, yet the marriage of its mahogany body and neck, sturdy and rigid string anchor and beefy single-coil pick-up provide the ideal physical properties necessary for the most efficient transmission of a vibrating steel string."

Here's the referring page: CLICK ME NOW YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO :-D

What magazine is that in and who tried because i would really like to know from someone who has already done it

Dan Erlewine modded a dogear cover that was too tall after he fixed the bridge on a Junior. It's in a back issue of Vintage Guitar.

Google "Vintage Guitar Magazine" for the website and see if it's in the articles section. You could also buy the back issue or check your local library.

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents is that a p-90 in a jr (les paul or sg) is the best sounding guitar going. Of course it depends what it's running through. I used to play with a guy who ran it through a hot rodded Hiwatt, and I haven't heard a better tone anywhere. I even put a p-90 in an old Airline archtop thinking I would have to take it out, but I was just fooling around, and it sounds great. I think they're the best sounding pickups around.

Billy Bones