Cherryburst Lp-style

Deja

OK, I have built a les paul custom style body out of alder. I have sanded it perfectly and filled the grain. Now i am looking to get a good old cherryburst finish for a relatively cheap amount.

I have searched as much as i can in these forums and on other websites but i can't undestand how to do the burst finish so i have a few questions.

What sort of paints can i use to do this, e.g spray and what colors?(if possible list Places in australia, but not too important)

What is the basic process of doing this, please make this as detailed as possible because remember, i am a beginner.

What sort of finish do i put on it, last body i finished turned out terribly. How can i aplly this so it looks nice.

Where can i get a CUSTOM (note that word, don't rip my head off!) Headstock decal for a standard LP custom head in australia? I only want a fairly simple design.

Finally i was just wondering about where i could find p-90 soapbar pickups in australia, and for what sort of cost.

please reply soon :D

click here -> Brian's poor boy's burst

What sort of finish do i put on it, last body i finished turned out terribly. How can  i aplly this so it looks nice.

Polyurethane clear coat or nitro clear coat. Do a search, there's tons of info on both. The "nice" appearance comes from careful wet sanding between coates, finish sanding & buffing (also search). Practice both the paint burst and clear coating/buffing on scrap wood first so that you get the hang of it.

Where can i get a CUSTOM (note that word, don't rip my head off!) Headstock decal for a standard LP custom head in australia? I only want a fairly simple design.

You can find the split diamond decals on eBay; only place I've seen 'em.

Finally i was just wondering about where i could find p-90 soapbar pickups in australia, and for what sort of cost.

Perry Ormsby ("rhodes56") could probably tell you. Probably lots of on-liine places will ship to Oz for a price, but that's the price you pay for living on an island in the southern hemisphere. :D

please reply soon

Impatience is the killer of many a guitar project...

you can get a custom decal from MOD NOTE - Please do not ever mention that name on this forum again. and theres no extra shipping for overseas - move mouse over headstock of guitar on website

Edited by rhoads56

I dont understand how to do the rest of the burst though, do i use dyes or solid paint?

The poor boys burst doesnt quite help me enough though, it shows how to do the edges but what is the basic process of bursting.

Dont dismiss this please, i have tried searching.

Your questions hurt my face. You should work on that whole syntax thing...nevermind.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for as far as bursting information goes. Here's one tip though. This is common knowledge so it probably isn't on the tutorials. Spray from the inside of the guitar towards the outside. Make each consectutive coat start a little closer to the edge. This will give you the effect of the finish becoming darker around the outside edges. I've never bursted a guitar, but I did an end table once. I like interesting furniture.

go to www.reranch.com and download their finishing 101 and sunburst tutorials and read them until you know them by heart, then you can start bursting. You can probably buy a cheap chinese made compressor and spraygun from Bunnings or something like that but that'll still set you back 100$+

You can read about my first experience with finishing and sunbursting on my website in my signature if you want to see what you're in for. :D