Dill Bit Size

I know this question seems like it would be easy to find using a search, but trust me, it isn't.

How do I know which size drill bit to use on the neck where it will be attached. I know it has to be smaller than the screw (that's obvious). I also know that the holes going through the guitar body for the screws have to be big enough for the screws to go through right?

I'm using standard stratocaster-style bolt-on screws with the back plate (off of stewmac).

if anyone can answer this or give me a link to where it is answered, I would be so happy, because tomorrow is my only day to use the drill press, or I have to wait a full week.

thank you! :D

Take a piece of scrap wood and those screws and try different bits until you find the right one. If you dont have the screws yet dont drill anything.

you probably already know this but you can make a simple depth gauge (to make sure that you don't drill all the way through the neck) with a small piece of masing tape wrapped around the bit at the proper depth...