Jump to content

Amplifier Problems...


Recommended Posts

Hey, all. I know this is more of an amp-related question, but here goes. I have a 130 watt mono- Samick bass amp that I play my guitar through 'cause I love the fat sound I get. Anyways, the thing is at least twenty five years old and the knobs crackle, pop, or squeal when I come within three inches of anything on that thing. I'm wondering this: In order to keep it, should I simply get the knobs and stuff cleaned and repaired, or could I replace the preamp for a guitar preamp...I'm just curious if that's possible. And if yes, what info would I need to gather to get the shop-keep to find me one that matches.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Modding/replacing the preamp will probably lose you that fat sound you like, and probably cost you more than the whole thing is worth - chances are that cleaning the pots, and maybe replacing the filter caps in the power supply will get rid of the rice crispies. Is it solid state or tube?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...