Neck

I'm building a neck first before i build the body?

can i put a angled headstock on it, what are the benefits and will i have to change anything on the body to accomodate this?

What is better for fretboard wood, ebony or rosewood?

What sort of fret wire should i use, i was thinking jumbo size?

I will definately need carbon rods for support won't i?

Will the neck wood being flatsawn affect anything? It's rock maple 13/16" x 4 1/2" x 34"

and lastly, what is the best type of nut to use? I play mostly slapping.

:D

Nice reply perry.

When i get the money i'll probably be buying the parts off you anyway.

Is their a tone difference between different nuts and fretboards?

Also is there any way youd be able to do the headstock angle for me, i just don't want to try it and screw it up

Edited by Deja

I'll bet Perry would be happy to do the headstock for you, just as long as you have the $cratch to pay him for the neck, fretboard, body, finish and electronics too. And provided you know what you want.

If you want to get into building, go with a body first and just buy a neck off the rack (or eBay). Once you feel comfortable building bodies, try a neck. Its not that hard if you do your homework first.

Erik, last I saw Perry was offering part made necks in various degrees of completion, as a service for DIYer's who didn't feel confident with certain steps. I guess that's what Deja meant.

To address the question of angled/non-angled heads in more depth:

An angled headstock will provide a steeper break angle over the nut, which is a good thing, since it aids tone (wooly wording I know, but I don't want to type an essay!) and cuts down on string noise/rattling behind the nut. Usually, a non angled head will require a string tree or bar to achieve the correct break angle. That's yer pro.

Cons? Well, the angle makes the neck more vulnerable to taking a knock - if you knock it over the back of the head is more likely to find the floor first. You'll also require more wood to do an angled head, though with a scarf joint the difference is minimal.

I thought it would be better to build a neck first, more accurate when building a body and i thought if i did a neck prperly how bad could i possibly mess up the body.

For a bass neck ill have to finish the maple won't i.

Also is there a point in scalloping a bass neck, or is that sort of a guitar only thing?

I wish i was from the us, thisd make this stuff so much easier