Body Cracked In Two

Maybe I've missed it but nobody has asked "why the heck did this happen?" I've got a suspician that the mahogany wasn't dried enough in the first place and maybe would have cracked somewhere along the line even without the oven torture routine. Rustle up a moisture meter from somewhere and check the stuff you're building with.

I'd have a long term concern with stability here. The glue line holding the face to the back seems great. You've squished the two back pieces back together but the stress is still there and I'll take a small wager that this will open up again no matter what glue you use. My attack would have been to lay in a really thin piecs of wood from the same stuff that cracked, scrape it level and smooth and finish over it. This is how guys like Don Teeter repair old stuff and all you did with the oven was accelerate the aging process.

Don't take this as gospel, it's just my opinion.

Maybe I've missed it but nobody has asked "why the heck did this happen?" I've got a suspician that the mahogany wasn't dried enough in the first place and maybe would have cracked somewhere along the line even without the oven torture routine. Rustle up a moisture meter from somewhere and check the stuff you're building with.

I'd have a long term concern with stability here. The glue line holding the face to the back seems great. You've squished the two back pieces back together but the stress is still there and I'll take a small wager that this will open up again no matter what glue you use. My attack would have been to lay in a really thin piecs of wood from the same stuff that cracked, scrape it level and smooth and finish over it. This is how guys like Don Teeter repair old stuff and all you did with the oven was accelerate the aging process.

Don't take this as gospel, it's just my opinion.

Echo your thoughts. Sounds like time will tell at this point.

Peace,Rich

wood expands and contracts naturally no matter what the moisture content is...putting it in the oven i would think just caused it to expand,then contract more quickly than the wood could handle.

don't drying kilns take the temp down gradually?

BUT...your theory is a possibility...

wood expands and contracts naturally  no matter what the moisture content is...putting it in the oven i would think just caused it to expand,then contract more quickly than the wood could handle.

don't drying kilns take the temp down gradually?

BUT...your theory is a possibility...

My theory is that because it had a maple top on a mahogany body maybe they dried slightly at a different rates... the mahogany did seem "shrunk" compared to the maple top. The temp was only 150.

It sems ok now though.. only avery fine line shows where the CA did not restain. Looks pretty decent with 15 coats of acrylic lacquer. I'll just finish it off with a coat of Glidden flat white latex (bought a new roller JUST for this guitar) and those cute purple and yellow flower contact paper decals. :D:D

Uglogirl

I'll just finish it off with a coat of Glidden flat white latex (bought a new roller JUST for this guitar) and those cute purple and yellow flower contact paper decals. 

Yikes!!! :D

Just think about it, that 150 degree oven is like leaving your prized guitar in a car on a hot august day. You could be brought up on charges of abuse. :DB):D