Playing Guitar On Bass Amp

Hughes

Cool, it just sounded like a Kustom i used to have, it was low - mid - high.

Low is the bass, mid, thats your mid-range tones and high is your treble. Just dont play it too loud, that might not be the best thing to do as its designed for low tones, the high tones might cause it damage. But thats all physics and not worth discusing really.

Cool, it just sounded like a Kustom i used to have, it was low - mid - high.

Low is the bass, mid, thats your mid-range tones and high is your treble. Just dont play it too loud, that might not be the best thing to do as its designed for low tones, the high tones might cause it damage. But thats all physics and not worth discusing really.

I'm prety sure it's the other way around. You can play a guitar as loud as you want in a bass amp and not hurt a thing, but you will rip the speaker apart if you play a bass super loud in a guitar amp. A speaker will not get damaged because of high frequences. Now there may be something inside the amp that may not like it but I'm not sure.

Last year when I was looking for a new amp I asked about a bass amp and the salesman told me that you can play a bass through a guitar amp but not the other way around, maybe it was just because the bass amp i was eyeing was cheaper than the guitar amps but thats what I've been told. Either way if you do I'd suggest you turn it down.

I'm prety sure it's the other way around.  You can play a guitar as loud as you want in a bass amp and not hurt a thing, but you will rip the speaker apart if you play a bass super loud in a guitar amp.  A speaker will not get damaged because of high frequences.  Now there may be something inside the amp that may not like it but I'm not sure.

I agree with Godin, it shouldn't hurt bass amp speakers at ALL if you play through the bass amp with a guitar.

Last year when I was looking for a new amp I asked about a bass amp and the salesman told me that you can play a bass through a guitar amp but not the other way around, maybe it was just because the bass amp i was eyeing was cheaper than the guitar amps but thats what I've been told. Either way if you do I'd suggest you turn it down.

One of SRV's favorite amps was a vintage Fender Bassman.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

I'm always slow to trust a salesman of any type because I've found most don't know what they are talking about. Usually guys who work in music shops are players, so they should have a background in what they're talking about an be more easily trusted, but I've still heard some funny disinformation coming from guys who play and should know better than to say what they're saying. (HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE, BATMAN!)

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...