Tuning Holes.

Hiya,

I'm thinking of fitting new tuners to my bass guitar, but I have a problem:

The current tuners have -big- tuner holes, and I want to replacethem with 'vintage' style ones which have significantly smaller holes.

This has been probably asked so much before, but...what would be the best way to fit the tuners?

thanks,

elynnia

ah, ok, thanks.

How about the paint and the topcoat? I have a feeling that the new tuner 'rings' don't cover the same size as the old ones - would a can of black spraypaint be good for filling in the bits, or is there something else better?

thanks,

elynnia

ah, ok, thanks.

How about the paint and the topcoat? I have a feeling that the new tuner 'rings' don't cover the same size as the old ones - would a can of black spraypaint be good for filling in the bits, or is there something else better?

thanks,

elynnia

They should. Why not test fit it first before you buy a can of paint? :D

Check out this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_p...r_Bushings.html

Coversion bushings from large to small posts. A quick fix if the meashurments are right

Peter

Sorry, didn't read all thruy the text. BASS TUNERS. :D

Forget about the conversion bushings I posted a link to.

Fill and redrill

Edited by SwedishLuthier

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not being clear enough. Standard procedure if you done a few, and then you forget that there were a first time...

You should try to find a piece of the same wood as the peg head. I you don’t find proper size dowels, you can chuck a reasonably straight, oversized piece in a drill and get custom sized dowels by holding files and sandpaper against your dowel in spe. Works with non round pieces too. Just be prepared that it will be a bumpy ride.

Go slow and measure a lot. Perfect size is when you need just a little bit of pressure to push the dowel into the hole. Make it a little bit longer then you need. Put some god wood glue on the dowel and push it in. No need to clamp if your size is right. Then trim off the excess wood and if you’re lucky you do not need to touch up on the finish.

OR, you can make your dowels like this guy: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Te...nsizetuner.html

I think it might be a little over kill (Frank Ford is one of the best repairguys there is), but you have some nice pics in there to help you

Peter

Edited by SwedishLuthier