Question On Sanding Sealer

Hi. I'm now into testing the sanding sealer on my scraps. I use Deft's lacquer sanding sealer on stained flamed maple. I did spray until the surface was smooth.

Then that's when I had a problem. They say to sand lightly with #220. As I lightly sanded, the surface became full of scratches and whitish. I got scared and tried out

sanding with 400 grit this time, and got less scratches but still enough so that it doesn't look good. The surface is now matte, and I didn't sand through the sealer.

I'd like to know if it's normal that it becomes so full of scratches and gets whitish.

I tried using a dry rag, no results. With a wet rag the surface got back it's normal color while damp.

What sshould I do?

thanks.

ha ha ha ha ha !

Sorry couldn't resist!

Now to help you out. Sanding sealer is like a primer, it is used to fill the grain only, then you use the DEFT clear, the S S will always look milky when painted, like this once you sand to 400 shot a light coat of clear (make sure you clean up with a tach cloth before. Then after about 3 coats sof clear it turns crystal clear, make sure you use DEFT clear too, not another brand, since they work extremely well together. After 6 coats of clear heres how mine looked

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01887.jpg

so don't worry jsut keep going, you still have a bit more to learn.

I used SS in a spray form and I get hundreds of small spots in certain areas, how can I prevent this from happening? So you're saying the tiny scratches I get are normal when I sand and that they'll dissapear when shooting the first clear coat?

Now I feel kind of dumb. But still I want to be sure since I wasn't careful enough at the begining of my project and I had to sand the whole veneer two times; what a loss of time.

thanks.

Edited by christhegreat

yes as long as the scratches are from 400 you are fine, but make sure that you don't have any more from the 220 that you used earlier. I would shot one more coat of SS and then sand qith 400 and start with the clear.

And the bubbles sound like contamination on the paint or that you left it on the sun and it bubbled up, one of the 2

Yes, that's normal with sanding sealer. I actually apply mine with a brush...one coat, let dry completely, sand everything to matte, then apply again and sand with a finer grit. THEN clear coat (or whatever).

After you sand the first coat, look carefully for places where the sanding sealer is still shiny. Those are low spots in the raw wood, and it is best to go back and make sure everything is nice & level, you don't want those low spots because they will show up in the clear coat big time. Make sure the sanding on the raw wood is as good as you can possible make it, then start in with the sanding sealer.

You don't want to move on to paint or clear until those low spots are all gone.

If you sprayed it in a cool area then moved the piece to a hotter area to dry, what happens is that moisture that is trapped in the pores of the wood starts to expand and wants to find it's way out of the wood, and presto, bubble city.

They are usually easily sanded out unless it was a color coat, then you're in big trouble.

Maybe that's the cause, actual contamination usually comes from some silicone-based product or an oil based product.

My guess is it was the temperature difference. Try to shoot it and store it under the same conditions from now on.

And you have not wasted a second, this is what the learning process is all about, and you are gathering valuable knowledge now, it's a good thing if you can get past the obvious (and temporary) emotional downs from the experiences.

Besides, the more setbacks you incur, it makes the end result all that much sweeter knowing the hurdles you overcame to get there. :D

Pros don't get to be pros by everything going just perfect and easy for them all the time. :D

ha ha ha ha ha !

Sorry couldn't resist!

Now to help you out.  Sanding sealer is like a primer, it is used to fill the grain only, then you use the DEFT clear, the S S will always look milky when painted, like this once you sand to 400 shot a light coat of clear (make sure you clean up with a tach cloth before.  Then after about 3 coats sof clear it turns crystal clear, make sure you use DEFT clear too, not another brand, since they work extremely well together. After 6 coats of clear heres how mine looked

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01887.jpg

so don't worry jsut keep going, you still have a bit more to learn.

Looks great Maiden! Thread hyjacker out! :D

Holy S*, that happened for accusing me wrongly! :D I was posting pics so that he could see how it looks! No reason for the hijack since that thread is old as dirt!!!

If I wanted to hijack I would have posted the pics instead of the link and a link to my thread!

But, at least he got his answer right?

Holy S*, that happened for accusing me wrongly!  :D  I was posting pics so that he could see how it looks! No reason for the hijack since that thread is old as dirt!!!

If I wanted to hijack I would have posted the pics instead of the link and a link to my thread!

But, at least he got his answer right?

Maiden, I wasn't calling you a hijacker I was referring to myself. Are we a little sensitive today? :D

Have no idea what would cause that multipost. Click the button once, by time it came back..thread spew all over the screen? :DB)