Hearing A "cracking" Noise When Tuning

Curtis P

Well, for my birthday (July 26) i bought a new guitar, i havent had a chance to really post yet because of internet problems.

Anyways, i bought a brand new Slammer by Hamer, its an explorer shape guitar,

When i tune the High E string, i hear a light cracking noise, i am not sure if the nut is not filled enough for the larger strings and its pulling on the nut or what, but its rather disturbing and it does not stay in tune well....

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Edit, forgot to include some pics of the new "beast"

NewGuitar11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur.../NewGuitar3.jpg

just 2 for now, its taking forever on photobucket to upload tonight, so, maybe more tommorow

Curtis

It's pretty common, though a pain in the butt. I'm pretty sure it's just strings binding up in the nut and then popping 'free'. I could be wrong, but that's what I've always been told and I had no reason to doubt it. If you're having general tuning instability, how about considering a switch to a GraphTec nut or just a well-cut bone nut? Are you comfortable doing that, or would you rather not?

Great-looking geet-box, though! :D

Greg

As Greg said, that's a textbook case of strings binding in the nut. You need to ease the nut slots with an appropriately sized nut file or saw. Whilst you're at it, you'll want to fine tune the nut slot height too - I've yet to see a factory nut which isn't unnecessarily tall.

thanks everyone for the replies, thats what i figured it would be, I actually find the nut height to be pretty decent on this guitar, the action is great, so i dont think i will bother with the nut height for now

When i go to the music shop to grab some more strings, i will take in the nut and have them file it a bit more for me

Thanks

Curtis