Questions

Ok my first question is:

#1) How do you change the cover on covered pick ups. Like lets say I wanted to change it from chrome to gold, how would i do that?

#2) (these neck questions were on another post of mine, I later asked more questions and never got a reply so I decided to move them here) If the scale length of a neck of a guitar is not equal, what would happen if i still continued to play on it?

#3) How do solder capacitors to pots? (kinda a difficult question to answer but please try).

#4) Just for fun: Who is your favorite guitarist

1)depends on the pickup cover, take the picup out from the guitar and figure it out, its not too hard to figure some stuff out on your own :D

2)i am not sure what you mean on this question, but i think your saying if the neck is made for a 25.5" scale and your body was set up for a 24.75" scale what would happen if you still played on it?? well, it wouldnt intonate, so it would sound like garbage

3)very carefully heat the prong of the pot and attach the lead to it with solder, too much heat will ruin your pot, not enough heat and you wont get proper penetration (is that the word i want?)

4)i dont have a "favorite" guitarist per se, but, i enjoy listening to Kerry King, Randy Rhoads, Nuno Bettencourt, Kirk Hammet, Steve Vai, etc....

Good Luck

Curtis

most metal covered pups have a little tab or two that is bent over underneath. You want to undo that tab and sometimes the cover will be soldered to the baseplate so you would have to melt that.

On the soldering, it doesn't take long at all. I pinch the lead of the cap between the tip of the iron and the top of the pot, touch the solder wire to it and then hold the cop as i lift the iron and in about a second it'll be dry and ready. Whole process shouldn't take more then 5-10 seconds once you get it down.

Adhesion might be the word you were looking for Curtis :D Penetration conjures some different images.

1)depends on the pickup cover, take the picup out from the guitar and figure it out, its not too hard to figure some stuff out on your own :D

2)i am not sure what you mean on this question, but i think your saying if the neck is made for a 25.5" scale and your body was set up for a 24.75" scale what would happen if you still played on it?? well, it wouldnt intonate, so it would sound like garbage

3)very carefully heat the prong of the pot and attach the lead to it with solder, too much heat will ruin your pot, not enough heat and you wont get proper penetration (is that the word i want?)

4)i dont have a "favorite" guitarist per se, but, i enjoy listening to Kerry King, Randy Rhoads, Nuno Bettencourt, Kirk Hammet, Steve Vai, etc....

Good Luck

Curtis

In repsonse to your 2nd answer, about the neck. So basically even the slightest amount that is off, will ruin it? Even with a shim?

Scale length, measure from the nut to 12th fret, then from the 12th fret to bridge. These measurments sould be the same.

Fav guitarist, well its got to be the satch man!

HECK YES SATCH ALL THE WAY!!!!

Penetration conjures some different images.

With a soldering iron? That ain't right.... :D

penetration also means, in welding terms, where the 2 metals have fused together really well and on the back side of the metal you can see the "penetration" marks

If i remeber correctly

and depending on your bridge, if you where like, 0.5 mm out, your bridge intonation might be able to compensate for it

Curtis

penetration also means, in welding terms, where the 2 metals have fused together really well and on the back side of the metal you can see the "penetration" marks

those are just heat marks.they don't gaurantee good penetration.a good welder knows what he just welded though.

but you can determine good penetration by merely chipping and looking at the finished weld...look at the edges and if they are properly done they will appear almost seamless...no rolling onto the surface.

if you have "cold roll" (what we call it here)it will apear as if it is just sitting next to it,and you will probably have slag trapped in there as well.you can ensure good penetration by running plenty of heat and by carrying just enough metal to weave,alot of good welders even weave the flat welds.it is the best way to make sure the join penetrates both pieces.

nothing to do with guitars though...and solder doesn't penetrate...as mledbetter said,it adheres