Prs Style

Ok my old thread got all messed up, so heres the specs again:

Body: Fijian kauri(yes it is a TYPE of agathis, but that dont mean its firewood too)

Neck: Kauri

Fretboard: Kauri(hey its all kauri)

Bridge: Gotoh TOM and stop tail

Pickups: Will be seymour duncan jb and jazz, but until my friend gets some more cash they are some cheap knock offs(same resistance, but not same sound I wouldn't think)

Controls: 1vol 1tone 3 way switch

Tuners: gotoh oval Knob 3l/3r

Chambered body

Will be stained dark on carved top and face of headstock(golden walnut with some rosewood mixed in for a light hint of red red )

Fretboard stained plain golden walnut

Back of everything is a lightened mix of golden walnut.

The whole guitar including fretboard will then be finished in clear federation polish and restorer for a cool vintage look.

So far I've got the body cut out, chambered and the top glued on, the neck is rough carved and ready for a fretboard.

Only 2 pics for now:

The back showing the grain, it's recycled timber so the wood is a bit worse for wear at this stage.

Back%2C%20b4%20sanding%20etc.jpg

The neck with mild assemetric carve and roughed out volute:

Neck carve(bad focus)

I'll try to get the top carved over the weekend and will probably have more pics on monday or tuesday.

Alex

godin: 2X4's ***???? I've got 9" wide boards of the stuff and if you dont like how it looks, well, don't like it! And it's still pretty rough, it'll clean up alot nicer than that. You obviously have totally different tastes to me

Jay5: Yep there's an 8 degree headstock angle.

Alex, no need to be jumpy, the wood does look like construction grade. Not that it is, but it looks like!

If you like it, that's great because it is your guitar, but it is definately paint grade to my eyes too.

Maybe if you take pics with a bit more light it will look better. So make more progress and show it here OK.

I've made quite a bit more progress, but my camera batteries are dead and I'm not planning any trips to the store any time soon.

The top is carved and I need to find where I've misplaced my gooseneck scraper before I can continue, but I actually like it how it is, so I'll talk to the guy I'm making it for and get his opinion before putting a recurve into it.

The back tummy cut and "leg cut" are carved. So I'm waiting for a day I can use the table saw at my dads work because I didn't have a nice enough piece of kauri for the fretboard blank last week, but saturday is looking promising.

I'll try to get to the shops and get some more batteries before then though.

Alex

Edited by Mr Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for lack of updates and pictures, my dad had to get his camera back for work stuff, so I'll probably just have finished pics next. My choice of top wood turned out to be terrible, it looked real good plain, but stained really unevenly(I gave up after 6 sand backs). My friend is even happier, cos I just scored 4 litres of industrial(near scratch proof) 2 pack poly, the smell is like rotting animals, so my ultra thick masks are being swapped for my brothers industrial respirator tomorrow, and I'll start painting the actual body then. The colour is a custom mix(it was meant to be for a gold top I was gonna do, but through mis communication the colour went from gold to pink to red to purple to a cross between black, silver and red) its actually really cool, I'm super irritated cos my brother didn't write down the formula as he mixed it, so without some super time consuming matching, its a one off mix. And at $150+ a litre, I wont be getting anymore anytime soon.

I did however get some stuff I cant even remember(let alone spell). But it's pretty much another industrial 2 pack poly type thing, the data sheets I got say it is a high gloss metallic finish suitable for industrial application where durability and protection are an issue, examples of applications, Oil platforms and refineries, chemical processing plants.

Judging by the tin, you pretty much gotta coat it in acetic acid and start scrubbing it with a wire brush to damage it, ill have to start sanding it while its drying to fully level it before polishing, I just gotta find a use for silver paint.

I also cut the fretboard the other day, so fretting, painting and final assembly and its done!

And I'm currently planning an acoustic mandolin, but that will be put behind a little because Ive still gotta finsih fretting my singlecutaway.