Beginner Airbrusher

Hughes

Hey, i have seen all this awesome airbrushing art all over guitars and cars. So i was wondering, what kind of skills would be good to have when beginning airbrushing? i can draw really good, and i think i would be able to do masking tape well also. So whats good to have?

Thanks

Hughes

A large amount of experience with finishes and shooting finishes is paramount.

I would think most people were shooting finishes with regular guns first, got their chops together, then bought an airbrush, that's the way it worked for me anyway.

I knew most of the pitfalls of finishing and finishes before I got into airbrushing, since 99% of what you learn about shooting finishes applies with airbrushes as well.

I will disagree with Drak only with fear and trepidation.

Many years ago one of my college room mates was a commercial art major. He was a really good artist. Really really good.One afternoon he came home with a Pasche airbrush that he had bough used from a friend. He had never shot anything. I'd been shooting finishes for maybe three years at that point. Motorcycles and such. He had watched me do stuff a few times with clear and colored lacquers and a Binks No7 gun.. He locked himself in his room for about a week. Lived on coffee and pizza and didn't sleep and only came out to take a leak. At the end of it he was doing some amazing stuff. He was already a really good graphics artist and this was just another way of putting it on paper.

It has a lot to do with your natural ability and your experience with tools in general. Shading and that kind of stuff isn't too hard. Actually painting pictures, etc with an airbrush is. I still can't do that kind of stuff worth anything. Just don't have the vision.

Cut my teath on the airbrush first, started making t-shirt for the band, y-know... then moved onto the guns. My airbrush skills are adequate but not artistic level. Get a good dual action brush and start practicing like you said. Start by making thin straight lines, concentrate on making them even and straight (boring but needed). then circles, then play with other widths, then shading circle and squares. The website listed above gives great practicing lessons.