My New Project

Alright, not doing the whole dowel thing will just make it easier for me...  :D

It will stop it sliping when you clamp up though B)

Only messing! :D

Actually, there's a REALLY good little trick to take care of that. Take a normal old stapler (the kind you staple papers together with, not a staple gun), and put three or four staples in along one face of what will be a glue joint. They should still stick out about 1/8". Now cut the part connecting the two brads off with some wire clippers - and you have a set of tiny, thin brads down the joint that will hold it from slipping as you clamp it. Press the two pieces together and the staple brads will slip right into the grain on the other piece, and then clamp away.

Edited by jnewman

Sorry about taking so long with everything, but I didn't get anything done this weekend, except for making some pickup and cavity templates out of plywood, etc... we have had some good friends over this entire weekend, and I've also been writing some papers for school. Next weekend is looking like a perfect guitar-building weekend, though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... much progress... got all the wiring holes drilled, and the sides are clamped and glued right now....

here's some pics of it clamped up:

Front

Back

I used the CudBucket method with the wire nails to keep the sides from sliding... sorry, this won't really be a tutorial, because I was so caught up with the whole thing that I forgot to take pics. :D

Oh, and the holes in the back are to be able to stick a straw in to make sure the holes don't get clogged up. It's also the start of the back cavity. :D

Did some more work today, mostly just planing, rasping, filing, and sanding.... nothing amazing, but here's some pics anyway:

FRONT

BACK

1 cm of neck left over

The cutaways aren't done yet, so don't think that they are. :D

Oh, and it's taking me so damn long because I'm mostly using hand-tools... I just prefer it that way. (and it's my first guitar build)

Edited by Lietuvis

• 2 weeks later...

It is pretty big. About 2" longer than a Jackson King V. :D

Oh, and the upper fret access is fine. I've still got to work on the cutaways a bit, but it's almost flawless right now.

This weekend I WILL get something done. The past two weekends have sucked for guitar building, but then again, last weekend was an Opeth concert, so... :D

Edited by Lietuvis

It's shaping up very nicely now... I did a lot of rough work today, cutting off the neck extension and shaping the bottoms of the wings. Saturday and Sunday will probably lead to cavities and more shaping. There may be some pictures, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress... It's all shaped now, and I've got tuner and bridge holes drilled/routed. I'm about to route the recess for the bridge.(since I'm not using a neck angle with my T-O-M)

EDIT: Pictures soon to come (after I route the recess)

Oh ya, and it's looking WAY better than the pics that I posted earlier.

EDIT 2: Haha... it's 9 PM, I only got around to starting the route like 5 minutes ago. Expect pics sometime later... sorry. :D

EDIT 3: Walked to a guitar shop after school and bought myself some Schaller Strap Security Locks(black, of course, like all of the hardware). :D

Now, all I need are the pickups. They will be:

EMG-85(bridge)

EMG-60(neck)

I was thinking about Bare Knuckles pups, but they cost 99 GBP for one... that's around $185 for 1 pickup... a little too expensive for my first build, but I'll be getting some for upcoming projects.

Edited by Lietuvis