Cort V Refinish

Seeing as my LP is somewhat on hold due to budget constaints, I thought I would take a crack at refinishing this Cort V. I was given this guitar six or seven years ago and I have never played it once. When I got it the wiring was all screwed up and I didn't care to mess with it. So it sat in my basement all these years collecting dust.

Until recently, when I started thinking well I could try to refinish that thing, just for some finishing practice. Then I got to thinking, I wonder what this piece of junk is made out of. So I started sanding off the the terrible dark blue to sky blue burst. What I found was a mahogany neck through. I'm not sure what the rest of the body wood is, so I was hoping one of you could tell me. Here is a pic.

guitar%20004.jpg

Here are some links to other pics of this guitar.

back of headstock

back of guitar

close up of body wood

In the headstock pic you can see the lovely dark blue that covered the entire neck and was the burst color for the body. I think the body wood has some interesting grain to it so I will probably try some kind of a natural finish.

This axe will get a few other repairs along with the refin. There is a crack betwee the neck through and the body wood, right in the heel area. I looks like the glue joint started to break apart. I'm hoping I can just shoot some glue in there with a needle and clamp it back together.

It also needs to be refretted and the board needs to be radiused. The fret board currently is flat, as in no radius at all.

So I figure at the very least this guitar will give me some practice on the the things I was most worried about doing on my LP. Fretting and finishing

Cool man It should Look Nice once you get it all cleand up :D

You know That Wood Is Screaming for A Burntburst with emg pickups and Black hardware!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Something Like This http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0259400300

Now Jackson did this Kind Of A finish on a King V but I cant fnd Any Pic's

But trust Me I look's Great!! on A V

Yeah, I get ya Metal Matt.  I have a Strat plus with that exact finish on it.  What would you guys do as far as the neck goes?  This is a neck through guitar.  Maybe just make the neck and the back black like the edge of the burst?

I think a totally black neck with a sunburst would look cool. I assume you are spraying the back black also to match the burst?

That's a sunburst

I've been told That's called A Burntburst :D Am I wroung? :D

Well what Ever it's called I think It would Look DEADLY on that V :D

EDIT and for The Neck Do A Burst On it to!! I think That would Look SLICK

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Whoa, matt I just read your edit. You think I should burst the neck? That is just a sick and twisted idea. I love it.

hehehe I love A sick And twisted idea, But this One I cant Take As My own! acoustic guitars have Been doing It for A while now But I thought It would Look so Sweet on your V man!!

That's a sunburst

I've een told That's called A Burntburst :D Am I wroung? :D

Well what Ever it's called I think It would Look DEADLY on that V :D

EDIT and for The Neck Do A Burst On it to!! I think That would Look SLICK

!!METAL MATT!! B)

a traditional sun burst is the fender 3 color (brown/red/black). clasically speaking, the brown to black fade is a tobacco burst but it all depends on who makes it. Burntburst is probably some company's trademarked name for a tobacco burst.

but you were right in not calling it a sunburst B)

a traditional sun burst is the fender 3 color (brown/red/black). clasically speaking, the brown to black fade is a tobacco burst but it all depends on who makes it. Burntburst is probably some company's trademarked name for a tobacco burst.

but you were right in not calling it a sunburst 

Thanks For The Info man I learn something new every day :D

!METAL MATT!! :D