I'm Building A Guitar For The First Time

well more like, I want to build a guitar. the first thing I'll tackle is the body, I've bought 2 boards of poplar and no matter what, I think it's going to take 4 pieces to make the body. I've been doing a little researching, searching sites. I've found that routers are pretty useful in this for making cavities and for the body. I'm still not sure how I want to cut the body. I don't have any kind of extreme tools like a band saw so I'm a little limited, I have a jig saw though. I'm kind of hoping if someone can tell me if a jig saw will work for cutting the body, it doesn't have to do the best job, it just has to work. And any other suggestions for materials I'd appreciate, I am sort of on a budget.

if anyone reads this I'd greatly appreciate it, it is kind of long.

thanks.

if anyone reads this I'd greatly appreciate it, it is kind of long.

I'm sorry but if you think that post took a long time to type than your going to get very discouraged building a guitar...

A jig saw will work but because the blade flexes it's important to cut it outside of your line and than sand it perfect. You can get away without a router if your good with a chisel but a router will make your life a whole lot easier and can be had reasonably cheap with decent quality.

Edited by Godin SD

What he meant is you are going to have to do alot of reading, I'm not even considering starting my full project for atleast another month and I've spent two weeks reading through all the tutorials on this site and many others, plus I just ordered a few books, one on the making of guitars and one on electronics for guitars (they were cheap anyway).

What he meant is you are going to have to do alot of reading, I'm not even considering starting my full project for atleast another month and I've spent two weeks reading through all the tutorials on this site and many others, plus I just ordered a few books, one on the making of guitars and one on electronics for guitars (they were cheap anyway).

What books did you order?

I'm not one to wait, and I don't really care, this is a first so I'm going to learn from it. I'm amazed I didn't start like 2 days ago, but I've been researching and I just went to borders but I couldn't find anything good, plus all the books were expensive. but the only thing I'll do soon is glue the wood together and I probably won't even do that for a few days.

I'm not one to wait, and I don't really care, this is a first so I'm going to learn from it. I'm amazed I didn't start like 2 days ago, but I've been researching and I just went to borders but I couldn't find anything good, plus all the books were expensive. but the only thing I'll do soon is glue the wood together and I probably won't even do that for a few days.

Yep, good place to start. Melvyn's book is pretty much the 'standard' work, IMO. Also, look at the tutorials section here, the strat building one (Guitarfrenzy's, I think) very nicely illustrates how to cut a body to shape with a jigsaw and trim with a router+template, and is just generally very informative.

My first body was made a few years ago using Home Depot poplar, rasp, and a coping saw. I didn't have a router to make the neck pocket so I so I used poplar that was 1" thick and made two layers for the body. The top layer, I took my time and used the cope saw to cut the neck shape. I glued the pieces together and that made my neck pocket. I used water putty to fill all the hholes and valleys and finished using auto store can lacquer.

It turned out pretty well. You just have to take your time and use what you have.

good luck,

Al

That's often referred to as RTFM around here. :D

That's the book that most everyone starts with. It should show you most of the stuff you'll need to know. It's not the only way to get the job done as you will soon find out, but it's a good overview of electric guitar building.

The more thought time you put into your build, to more success you'll have in the end. It's great that you want to learn from your mistakes, as you stated, just try to avoid them by thinking through what you are doing. When you hit a roadblock, or mess up, that's when the real fun begins. :D

I may pick up that book eventually, I've been meaning to for a while. I thought it might be fun jumping in with both feet using all the info on the main site and the forum - that's way more than any book could tell me!

btw, Jehle, do you by chance still have the Jellycaster tutorial? The links been broken for a while and that makes me sad :D

My first body was made a few years ago using Home Depot poplar, rasp, and a coping saw.  I didn't have a router to make the neck pocket so I so I used poplar that was 1" thick and made two layers for the body.  The top layer, I took my time and used the cope saw to cut the neck shape.  I glued the pieces together and that made my neck pocket.  I used water putty to fill all the hholes and valleys and finished using auto store can lacquer.

It turned out pretty well.  You just have to take your time and use what you have.

good luck,

Al

wow that makes me feel a little better now...I'm going to go look up what a rasp and a copesaw are now :D

anyways, this is probably the best forum I posted on, I really appreciate all the input.

thanks everyone

Edited by teh_chris