Fret Pulling

don't know what's available around you but i bought a back up set of flat ground nippers at my local hardware store's bargain (see chinese made) bin for about $4.00. i'm afraid that trying it with anything else is going to damage your fretboard.

the only option that comes to mind is taking a mini flat bladed screwdriver and trying to wedge it in from the end and prying up that way but again, be careful that you don't damage your fretboard.

Found something that works, though I'm not sure about it working on all the frets withoutdamaging the board. I took a sharp poker-thing (?) and wedged the tip into the side of the fretslot, which pushed the fret up and out nicely, but due to overzealousness the board got a couple of small chips. Nothing that can't be sanded out in the radiusing. I may try doing the same thing, only heating the frets slightly. It might reduce the risk of serious board damage due to tenacious glue... I'll also try the flat-head driver idea.

I just use Fret Cutters to pull frets when I have a problem. Just heat up the fret like was already suggested starting at one end and using the fret cutter to get the fret out.

Strat_fretpull1.jpg

You can get a pair of fret cutters from Stew Mac here..

If you have a do it yourself notion, you can find a pair of Channel Lock End Nippers at a local hardware store, and ground the ends flat. But I'm pretty sure you won't have much success with the screw driver trick without getting frustrated, and busting up the fingerboard.