Wooden Bobbin Covers

i'm thinking about making wooden bobbin covers for my current project. i won't have any trouble making them but i'm wondering whether i need to remove the current plastic ones or glue the wooden ones over them. if i need to remove the old ones what's the best way to do that? one of the pups is an 80's gibson t-bucker so i don't want to mess it up.

i'm thinking about making wooden bobbin covers for my current project.  i won't have any trouble making them but i'm wondering whether i need to remove the current plastic ones or glue the wooden ones over them.  if i need to remove the old ones what's the best way to do that?  one of the pups is an 80's gibson t-bucker so i don't want to mess it up.

I've got no real experience with pickups, but my impression is that you really can't take the top of the bobbin off without making the whole thing collapse on itself. They're defining the coil shape and keeping the slugs in position. I'd say your best bet is veneering the tops, or just winding your own pickups :-)

well i'm glad i didn't take my pocket knife to that rascal today to see for myself. :D

seriously, thanks for the advice..i didn't have a clue. and it is just bobbin covers

Brian carries some bobbin toppers, but they are only for colors. Maybe someone could ask him to make a couple out of a veneer for you, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Do you want the sides covered as well, or only across the top? By just doing the top it won't look exactly like a wood bobbin, but from a pic I don't think you could tell. I was going to use some white ones but decided on some white pickup rings instead, which I got from Brian, he is one of the very few places that carries actual white pickup rings, everywhere has cream but he has white which looks great. I would talk with him though maybe he can make some for you with the wood veneer, maybe he would think it's a cool idea and start making them for sale. I believe though they would be much harder to make, and would need to be more perfect as far as pole spacing I think. Anyways that sounds like a really cool idea, I hope someone does it so we can see how it looks. Well good luck! Here's a pick of a bobbin topper that Brian sells.

black7z.jpg

jmrentis, on Universal Jems, it lists burl and mahagony bobbin toppers, so Brian does carry wood bobbin toppers. And at $2.00 a pop, I'm pretty sure you ain't gonna be dissapointed. :D

Brian's service is very fast, too. I've ordered tuners from him and got a response very quickly from every email I sent him, and the tuners arrived within a couple of days.

Wow, I haven't been on there in a while. Are they new? I'm pretty sure when I ordered my pickup rings he did not have them, which was probably 3 or 4 months ago. Thats cool, I might have to try some one day. I also found it amazing how Brian responds to everyone personally when they order, no wonder he is so busy. The shipping was fast too. Well I'm going to check out those toppers right now. Oh yeah and that pic of the topper was just a single cream topper on the all black pickup, he actually sent me that pic when I asked him for a pic of a white one, all he had was cream but it was close enough and it looks good for a couple bucks vs. buying new pickups for a different color. Later. Jason

thanks guys, i appriciate the info but i'm going to make these myself. i'm making a sort of thinline with a zebrawood top on walnut. i've already made the walnut pickup rings and i'm thinking of zebrawood tops for the pups.