Hot Rod Deluxe

marksound

My year and a half old HRD has started making crackling/staticy noises. It started after our last gig when I couldn't seem to get any treble out of it. Treble/Mid cranked, Bass at zero and just barely acceptable. I figured it was the room. Last night the treble was better, but not nearly as bright as it used to be. Also, it doesn't seem to be as loud as it used to be. :D

Any thoughts?

If they are the original power tubes, it's time to change them out. The telltale sign is when "it doesn't sound as loud as it used to." If you lnow someone with a tube tester, you could see what kind of shape they are in. I'm about 90% sure on this one. The other 10% could be a problem in the amp, but that was more common in the first production runs of some of the Fender amps like the Hot Rod DeVille, etc.

Ok, the Fender GT6L6B comes in matched pairs, by color. Mine don't seem to have a color on them, but the owner's manual lists part# XXXXX-02 (white). Musician's Friend has blue and red, but no white until sometime next week.

1) Can I substitute a different color pair as long as they're matched without having to rebias?

2) What's the difference in them anyway? In other tubes GT lists the pairs by "hardness." Is this the same thing, only different? If so, how do I know which end of the spectrum is which?

I have gigs booked all month and I really need to get this amp back up to snuff PDQ. :D

Can I substitute a different color pair as long as they're matched without having to rebias?

You should be able to. The amp's tone will change some - maybe to your liking, maybe not.

What's the difference in them anyway? In other tubes GT lists the pairs by "hardness." Is this the same thing, only different? If so, how do I know which end of the spectrum is which?

It appears to be a similar system to the Groove Tubes system. Not sure about the Fender color scheme, though.

If you have the amp re-biased when you replace those tubes, the color codes won't make any difference - any decent matched set of tubes can be biased to sound pretty good, regardless of their "color". Just my $.02.

Yeah, I didn't mention that because it sounded like he didn't want to mess with the biasing... :D

I don't want to mess with biasing right now. I don't know how to do that myself (may be time to learn), and time and money are tight. I just need to get through this month.

All my equipment is at the other guitar player's house where we rehearse. Yesterday I had him pull the tubes and reseat them. He said it was good for a few, then started again. He reseated the tubes again, and the same thing. After a couple times, it stopped making noise. Maybe there's a bit of corrosion in the connection?

Anyway, to be safe I ordered the Fender GT6L6B blue duet from MF (I have a MF credit card, so no immediate out-of-pocket). They didn't have the red or white in stock, so we'll see.

I don't want to mess with biasing right now. I don't know how to do that myself (may be time to learn), and time and money are tight. I just need to get through this month.

All my equipment is at the other guitar player's house where we rehearse. Yesterday I had him pull the tubes and reseat them. He said it was good for a few, then started again. He reseated the tubes again, and the same thing. After a couple times, it stopped making noise. Maybe there's a bit of corrosion in the connection?

Anyway, to be safe I ordered the Fender GT6L6B blue duet from MF (I have a MF credit card, so no immediate out-of-pocket). They didn't have the red or white in stock, so we'll see.

Actually, on the new Fenders, biasing is a snap. All you have to do is get the schematic for your amp and adjust the trimpot while measuring the current across one specific resistor. I can bias my Hot Rod DeVille in about 5 minutes! :D

• 2 weeks later...

somethign to be mentioned here. I dont' know any pro player [my clients in nashville] who would use the fender replacement tubes just my .02 but i have seen too many of these tubes [they are in my catalog too] that just have been plain ol bad. if you tkae the amp to be serviced ask what they use personally and not just what they recomened.

guess that makes my .04

somethign to be mentioned here.  I dont' know any pro player [my clients in nashville] who would use the fender replacement tubes just my .02 but i have seen too many of these tubes [they are in my catalog too] that just have been plain ol bad. if you tkae the amp to be serviced ask what they use personally and not just what they recomened.

guess that makes my .04

That's because they are Sovtek tubes, and in my experience, it sure seems like one in four are bad/faulty! :D

haaaaaaaaaaa yeah i tell ya what paul dont' order the "chinese"tubes from ce dist. man oh man oh man. are they cheap [nothing against china] but they are labeled in the catalog just as chinese tubes and they SUUUUUCKK

Here's an update fer ya ...

I ordered those tubes from MF the Saturday before Labor Day and they were at my door Tueday afternoon. Had to wait til Thursday rehearsal before I could install them.

Got to rehearsal, pulled the old tubes. When I started working a new one into the socket, it popped in my hand. Blew the end right out. So, in went the old tubes and on with rehearsal. Crackle, crackle, crackle.

Called MF early the next morning (Friday), explained what happened. The guy said no problem, he'd send out another set. Offered a prepaid FedEx label for the return trip.

Unfortunately, Saturday night was a first gig at a new place. It should have been called Murphy's, because not only did my amp make noise and threaten to quit a couple times, the PA (a barely 3 year old Carvin unit) kept shutting down, the bass player's new Peavey preamp made all kinds of weird sounds and my voice wasn't for crap because of a sinus infection just starting up. On the bright side, the beer was cold, the crowd was good, and the club owner threw in a bonus and invited us back.

Anyway, the new tubes arrived yesterday. I installed them without a hitch, fired the thing up, and it sounds at least as good as new.

Moral of the story: It's a long way to Tiperary. :D

so what tubes did you order from MF..

i agree paul i have a heavy duty rubber Glove that i used. [sint' it nice to get free stuff from the electric power board] the glove i have the power board used to take out meters live .. although usually no shock is present since its glass if it cracks you get full house power. hoorahhhhhhh..

I got the "blue" GT6L6 set, which translates to the 1-3 "hardness" on the GT scale (white is 4-6, red is 7-10 -- something like that). The new tubes went right in without a hitch and I've played 2 gigs with them now. There's no noticeable difference in sound (but my head's been plugged up for a week and a half now), the noise is gone and the volume's back.

...I may be an Okie, but I ain't stupid.  B)
:D Hey, don't feel bad - I'm from Alabama! Actually, that comment was aimed more at Ansil's "rubber gloves" post and Paul's "...I am never going to handle a power tube that is in operation with my bare hands ever again! " than at you, and there was certainly no offense intended towards anyone. :D

I just didn't want anyone else finding out the hard way just how expensive Silvadene® ointment and replacement transformers can be. My apologies if I came off sounding like a know-it-all.

Edited by lovekraft