Ovation

I recently found a used Ovation slimline Celebrity Deluxe with a fantastic neck, quick action, no buzzing, and great electric sound. Problem... it was really beat up, and I've looked at other new ones and all had REALLY high action.

Question... are these made with such loose tolerances that I have to look so hard for one that's acceptable?

TIA,

Gary

high action is not that unusual on a new guitar..a lot of guitars, especially guitars built overseas are shipped with no tension on the truss rod..if the shop just unpacks it and hangs it on the wall with no set up it will be high. if you find one who's tone you like and the neck is right ask them to set it up before you buy.

Ovation also ships with plastic shims under the bridge, Most new ones have rather high action, but they are among the easiest acoustics to work with. The last 3 I worked on I removed most of the shims from under the saddle. As far as sound goes you either like them or you don't (I do) but they are generally well made.

George

I've had 2 Ovations - a Classic that got traded in toward a special order Legend, back when cutaway black w/gold hardware acoustic anythings were rare. I had that Legend for 15 years and it was the coolest, mellowest sounding acoustic you could ever want. Financial difficulties forced its sale about 7 years ago and I've regretted it ever since. :D

:D that's a sad story mark.

I'm truly in lve with my ovation Celebrity Deluxe, myself. I tryed martins worth twice what mine is worth and i find they don't play nor sound as good. Still, they're not for everyone :D

And yeah they come with high action. but it takes something like 2 minutes to lower it AND it's possible to raise it again (contrarely to most normal bridges...)

EDIT: a classical Ovation is defenately on my list of guitars to buy. Gotta find one though B)

Edited by Pr3Va1L