All Mahogany Neck

balooka

Hi

Should  I use maple or rosewood for my fingerboard on a mahogany neck? I want to compensate the (warm/dark) acoustics of mahogany. This is my first neckbuild so im kindof unclear on this.

TIA

JP

For a bit of snap, I'd say Brazillian rosewood, Ebony, possibly even cocobolo. If you put CF rods in the neck it *might* just tighten things up a little. Maybe. It will give you a stiffer, more even neck.

I'd say ebony. It'll balance the mahogany with more pronounced highs, preatty much like adding a maple top to a mahogany body. The rosewood won't do that.

Peter

For a bit of snap, I'd say Brazillian rosewood, Ebony, possibly even cocobolo. If you put CF rods in the neck it *might* just tighten things up a little. Maybe. It will give you a stiffer, more even neck.

Thanks for the info. I've seen you do alot of posting on woods, so I'm kinda taking your word for it :D

I already ordered a rosewood and maple fboard, mostly because of their color. I want to bind them with black binding. This neck is (tho' I want it to be perfect) basically a firstbuild-testneck. I'll go for ebony on the next one (and put some maple laminate in the neck also).

What did you mean by the CF rods? Tighten what up? The sound or stability? Seems they sell CF rods in a local kiteshop, I'll see if they are solid rods and are up to the task.

TIA

jP

Thanks for the info. I've seen you do alot of posting on woods, so I'm kinda taking your word for it :D

I already ordered a rosewood and maple fboard, mostly because of their color. I want to bind them with black binding. This neck is (tho' I want it to be perfect) basically a firstbuild-testneck. I'll go for ebony on the next one (and put some maple laminate in the neck also).

What did you mean by the CF rods? Tighten what up? The sound or stability? Seems they sell CF rods in a local kiteshop, I'll see if they are solid rods and are up to the task.

Heh. I know some stuff about woods, but don't only take my word for it when it comes to tones. Very subjective, each person's got their own way of describing things. Also, BRW quite different from Indian Rosewood in terms of sound. So ya know. Ebony's always a fairly safe choice, although it's probably the most 'dead' of the wood options there (highest damping).

CF *might* tighten up the sound a little (although I haven't A/B tested extensively, so I can't know), but it will add stiffness and even out the response (no chance of dead spots, more of an issue with basses than guitars, generally). David Mkya uses CF tubes in his necks, for the record. Bit trickier to install, methinks (round nose channel, fillet strip on top).