Black Ice Customizing

bsmekanic

I tried a set of schottkys (BAT41s, I think) and a switch (in place of the pot) with a PRS Deep Dish II bridge pickup and 500K pots in a Yamaha SBG200 (it's my experimenter rig - it's been rewired so many times, I'm not sure anything is still stock! :D ). It worked, but the results were pretty underwhelming, at least to my ears - kinda like an OD250 turned way down, certainly not anything I wanted. Try it, it might be exactly what you're looking for. It's probably a lot more effective with really hot pickups (Invader, EMGs, 500XLs), and with std single coils it may not do anything at all.

I picked up some diodes today from a friend and i'm looking to do this mod on my bass. Problem is it's a Yamaha RBX760A (an active) can it actually be done with an active?

I don't actually have a tone control, I have 1 Vol 1 Treble 1 Bass and 1 Blend. I was hoping I could wire it in place of the blend knob somehow as I almost never use it, but the blend pot doesn't have a capacitor going onto it anywhere, so i'm a little confused as to how i'd do it.

I can clearly see a connection from each pickup going onto it (grey jacket containing one red and one white) and there's another wire (maybe two) going onto it as well. That's about it.

Any advice anyone can give on ANY way I can get this to work on my bass, would be GREATLY appreciated.

can it actually be done with an active?
Yes - just wire them back to back (anti-parallel) to a switch between hot and ground on the output jack.

ice_switch.png

You can use the volme pot as a "gain control" - the output level will be clipped at the diode's forward voltage, so turning up the volume will increase the distortion. This is the way a lot of simple distortion/overdrive units work.

If you wanted to do it on a strat w/ single coils. Why not have a switch that both switches on the pot w/ the diodes and makes all of the single coils run in series. That would give the effect of a hot pickup, no?

peace,

russ

A worthy notion. I have a setting for three pups in series on the old Hondo Strat that I have been upgrading. So in the interest of science and making loud noises, I have just rigged this idea up with aligator clips. Unfortunately I only have silicon diodes to hand.

I found that with my three fairly powerful ceramic SC pups in series, it does work. It needs a strong signal though, power chords work best, and the bass notes do it more that the high notes. Single string solos cant get enough output to drive the clipping. The sound is a muted sort of distortion, like a loudspeaker about to blow up. Once the signal decays a bit, the effect goes, so the sustaining distortion for searing solos will not happen. It is not a very great effect, at least with these silicon diodes. The germanium or shottkey ones may be better - but only slightly is my guess.

But it is so easy to put together a one or two transistor circuit, using diodes for feedback that sounds a lot better.

John

Edited by JohnH

Further to my post above, I just blew 90 cents on two Schottky diodes, to try that test again, with my three fairly hot single coil pups in series.

This is much better! (than I expected) - some credible smooth distortion, and possible to play on solos. It takes a strong touch - its not subtle. But I even got some good sounds out of bridge and middle series out of phase. I might find a way to wire them in. With two back to back across the output, you lose some volume (so turn it up), since the whole point is that it clips. Another option is to use just one diode - keeps the volume, with a different sound.

Worth a try

John

• 1 month later...
Further to my post above, I just blew 90 cents on two Schottky diodes, to try that test again, with my three fairly hot single coil pups in series.

This is much better!  (than I expected) - some  credible smooth distortion, and possible to play on solos. It takes a strong touch - its not subtle.  But I even got some good sounds out of bridge and middle series out of phase.  I might find a way to wire them in.  With two back to back across the output, you lose some volume (so turn it up), since the whole point is that it clips.  Another option is to use just one diode - keeps the volume, with a different sound.

Worth a try

John

what are the ratings on those Schottky diodes? where did you get them? got pics?

i would like to try this out, but im still confused as to where i can get the diodes mentioned above

so i went to radioshack to take a look

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp...iodes&kw=diodes

can someone point out to me which is a low voltage diode that would be comparable to passive overdirve

im not sure what to look for in diodes and why im looking for that particular type

im using two dimarzio superD's in a dual humbucker gtr, with a 3 way switch, pretty standard cfg

pelase please help me understad what to look for in diodes so i can make a clear choice

:D:DB)