Red Oak

Use the search thing... I was thinking about using Oak for a project, but it is really heavy, and the tone from it would be crap, because of it having almost no resonance... on the other hand, if you chambered it, you would get the same effect as Brian May's guitar. :D

Go for It!! Im trying Oak out for My Brutalizer V, I like it It's nice to work with sofar But it is Heavy!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Since you want to make a solid-body, I don't know if that's a great idea, but I'm not too sure about Oak myself... the info I posted is just what I learned from various forums when I asked the same question...

I believe he said that it is thin wood and would probably end up being just a top. I say go for it if it looks good. There has been a few threads with this question about oak, and one thing I can remember from them was that lacewood is Oak, and is commonly used in guitars, especially for tops and backs. And being just a top wouldn't add too much weight, and you could do a really thin top and put binding on it so it looks like a thicker top. Just a thought! Good luck and get some pics if you can, but I say go for it, as long as it looks good. Let us know. Jason

no.. i would be putting a top on the oak... but i just looked at the boards... i think its a no go... it might good for building a dog house... but theres sooo many knots in it. I think it would be less heart ache to find somethin at a lumber store that i really want. Oh well, they get a lot of wood in there.... im sure there will be another opportunity.. .im on pretty good terms with my shop teacher... he said hed give me some Ash for no charge at all. Who knows though.. maybe ill pick a peice thats good