Mockup Of My Project With Hardware

All my guitars have a 3" deep at the top of the "AANJ", Ithink that the issue with the SG is the thin body more than the amount of neck tenon (in your case a neck) that glues into the body. I think that the 4" looks cheap (like in a cheapo imitation) and the 3 looks right on the money. And if I'm not mistaken 3" is the size of a strat neck joint too.

here on warmoth site.

:D Hi,

I'd go with the 4" one. It looks better and will afford a better structure. I hope you're not planning to possibly sell this one, because it LOOKS as if it is really off cednter. Of course, it could be me......

Peace,

Dave

hi im undecided if i should go with a 3" or 4" neck pocket. here are mockups of both

neck pockets

which do u all like better? either way the pocket  will be rounded rather then square as pictured.

any other comments are welcome

Adam

:D Hi,

I'd go with the 4" one.  It looks better and will afford a better structure.  I hope you're not planning to possibly sell this one, because it LOOKS as if it is really off cednter.  Of course, it could be me......

Peace,

Dave

hi im undecided if i should go with a 3" or 4" neck pocket. here are mockups of both

neck pockets

which do u all like better? either way the pocket  will be rounded rather then square as pictured.

any other comments are welcome

Adam

to start off ed roman is an idiot. dave what do u mean by off centered? could u point out what you mean. nothing has been routed yet the pics were quicklt thrown together for design issues.

Adam

Go with 3. It looks better, and I think the neck pickup sounds better further away from the bridge. ER disagrees (long drawn out rant on his site--don't bother), but ER disagrees with everyone. :D

Changing how long the neck pocket is won't change how far the pickups are from the bridge - because it doesn't look like he's planning on changing the neck, just where the join is. The neck pickup will always start something like 1/2" from the 22nd fret.

Ithink that the issue with the SG is the thin body more than the amount of neck tenon (in your case a neck) that glues into the body.

From what I understand it's about half the thickness of the body and half the fact that the cutaways start on both sides about a half inch past the end of the neck pickup cavity.

Done right, there shouldn't be any structural problems with either pcoket length - I personally like te 4" better. You've gotten about even votes on both sides, so pick the one YOU like the best!

Go with 3. It looks better, and I think the neck pickup sounds better further away from the bridge. ER disagrees (long drawn out rant on his site--don't bother), but ER disagrees with everyone. :D

Changing how long the neck pocket is won't change how far the pickups are from the bridge - because it doesn't look like he's planning on changing the neck, just where the join is. The neck pickup will always start something like 1/2" from the 22nd fret.

Ithink that the issue with the SG is the thin body more than the amount of neck tenon (in your case a neck) that glues into the body.

From what I understand it's about half the thickness of the body and half the fact that the cutaways start on both sides about a half inch past the end of the neck pickup cavity.

Done right, there shouldn't be any structural problems with either pcoket length - I personally like te 4" better. You've gotten about even votes on both sides, so pick the one YOU like the best!

im going with the 4"

thanks, adam

Ditto on the location of the neck joint not affecting the distance between the neck pickup and the bridge...The scale is FIXED! If you move the neck up on the body, you have to move the bridge up too.

Personally, I'd go with the 4", I think the 3" makes the guitar look like it has too much wood between the bridge and the end of the guitar. It kind of looks unbalanced to me.

Also, consider where your forearm will rest when playing it. What would be more comfortable? Bottom line...which look do YOU like, you have to live with it and play it!

Much ado about nothing...

A 3" neck pocket is fairly standard. I wouldn't expect any stability problems with 3". It'll work fine as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that... From a design standpoint. I like the look of the 4" picture. Sure, it may restrict some of the upper fret access, but visually, I think that it looks more ballanced. Given the fact that the bridge position is also going to have to move an inch lower, there's not going to be any change in the pickup location relative to the bridge either, so the tone is not going to change.