Traynor Amps...

Alarung

Hey,

My local shop has just taken in a used Traynor Custom Valve 80, 80 watt all-tube combo. 2 12" Celestions, a rock solid unit. $700 Canadian, about $550 or so US.

Now, they have a new Traynor Custome Valve 40T, the 40 watt version of the same amp, with 2 10" Celestions. The new one is about $800 after taxes and all that.

Both these amps are awesome. But the 80 watter is quite a heavyweight, at 65 pounds. And although I haven't cranked either of the two, 80 Tube watts sounds like SO much volume. I'm kind of in Idch's boat, where I don't want to blow my ears out trying to find that perfect gritty tube-tone.

Exactly how much louder is an 80 watt amp than a 40? How much extra chest-hair comes with it?

Read this article on "power myths"

That should answer most of your questions...

Basicly the 80 watt pushing the same speakers is only going to be a few db louder than the 40 watt.

So since the 80 has more features and is cheaper I would spring for that one if I were you...

Edited by Godin SD

TRAYNOR YCV80 ALL THE WAY I love the 80 watt, I honestly don't think 40 would be enough unless you were micing it. The YCV 80 is simply amazing. And I think that the panel fits a few more things on it such as outputs. The reverb is great, pedal and distortion great. I got mine for $450 US off ebay

great buy