Bend On 15th Fret Dieing Out

rich2k4

i took jackson dkmg in to be set up., when i got it back, i got home and everything seemd fine till i bent at the 15th fret on the B and high E strings.

when i do this the bend sometimes dies out or sometimes just sounds really really mettaliic sound. most of the time it dies out. it only happens at the 15th fret, and only on the B and high E strings.

what is wrong?

You're "fretting out",

The strings are being bent so far across(read up) the radius that they are resting on the 16th fret.

edit: take it back and tell them to set it up so you can bend, its probably been set too low, or you've got some highish frets. Personally I'd just raise the action, I play pretty high, and I've got a crumby 9" radius on my guitar.

Edited by Mr Alex

You dont "have" to raise it, thats just the easy way out. there are other ways, I'd start by taking it back to whoever did it, and seeing if they'll fix the problem no extra charge(I doubt it though). Your 16th fret "may" need levelling, and those 2 strings are the only ones low enough to be resting on it when you bend.

I only said raise the action as what I would do.

Fret leveling isnt that bad to pay for, now a refret can be quite a bit more. Leveling isnt nothing you couldnt learn to do yourself, I got it down pretty quick, you can do it.

-Seth

Edited by Seth

if you'd care to explain the process

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/skgs/sk/fretcrowning.htm

this is probably the best resource for it, i would definitely practice on something cheap first though, i mean i wouldnt do this to my main guitar until ive practiced

Edited by Seth

Fret leveling isnt that bad to pay for, now a refret can be quite a bit more. Leveling isnt nothing you couldnt learn to do yourself, I got it down pretty quick, you can do it.

-Seth

the downside to this is how much you need done. a complete dressing job could really lower your frets and change the feel of ones guitar.

at least thats what ive experienced.

-Seth

the downside to this is how much you need done. a complete dressing job could really lower your frets and change the feel of ones guitar.

that is true...really his best option would be to take it back to the person who set it up for him

i do a lot of fixes like yours..a lot of strat necks will fret out while bending on the higher frets..i just measure the radius, pick a radius block that's slightly flatter than what came from the factory and flatten the frets from about 12 on down to the end of the neck. after a re-crown and buff the fretting out while bending is gone. it shouldn't be too expensive..takes less than an hour to perform.

good luck.

edited to say: i only do that fix if it's found that the radius is causing the problem and it's not a high fret..which is even cheaper to fix.

What unclej is talking about is creating a compound radius fretboard (at least partially). Creating a cone shape instead of a simple cylinder will prevent this fretting out problem. It should be relatively easy and inexpensive to flatten out the radius a bit on the upper frets so that you can keep the low action you want.

-Seth

that is true...really his best option would be to take it back to the person who set it up for him

i could never do such a thing. i have a beef with paying $60 for a setup when i can do it myself for free