Surfacing Wide Pieces Of Wood

nollock

How do you go about surfacing a body blank or top? I mean the surface for gluening the top and back togther. I have a thickneser and jointer but neither are wide enough. My first guitar i glued the top and back half pieces together before i joined then into the the blank. I noticed that most people glue the bookmatch together and then glue that onto the body, i cant work out how i can get a good flat surface with the tools i have. I can use a router jig to thickness it but that still leaves it a bit rough.

thanks,

chris

If all of your surfaces are square and level before you glue the book matched top together(and assuming you glue the top together properly), you shouldn't face too much problem gluing the top to an equally flat body blank. One little trick that helps to get the two book matched top pieces to be perfectly level with one another is to biscuit joint them where you'll be routing for your neck pock or pickups. This way you don't have to worry about the biscuit showing up when you're carving the top; it just gets routed away in the neck pocket anyhow. It serves its purpose well while the top's in the clamps though. As far as leveling a whole body blank goes, I can't give you much advice, I know some people use thickness sanders. I just figure it's easier(at least for someone w/o a thickness sander) to just make sure you thickness plane and joint the sides of your boards before you glue up your body blank.

peace,

russ

If you have - or have access to handplanes - your in business as far as leveling a one piece body blank goes. If you have them or can borrow them, then make sure they are tuned and practice on scrap first. Otherwise a thickness sander or 20" planer are the other options I can think of, but they tend to be a bit on the pricey side.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Nate Robinson :D

I tried Setch's method, but I'm just too clumsy to make it work right (or my router's just too damn cheap). No way I'm patient enough (and accurate enough to do handplaning...)

Anyway, I asked around and found a cabinetmaker with a thicknesser large enough to handle my blank. That worked just great!

I did try using a plane but couldn't get it to cut fine enough. But it turns out i had been setting it up wrong, i had been puting a 45 deg angle on the blade, oops! So I reground the blade, sharpened it on an oil stole and whe hey, it's taking tiny sub wafer thin shavings off. 10 minutes planing and my blank is spot on.

cheers,

chris

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, I designed and built this router planing table. http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=18537 It's 2 feet wide and 4 feet long.

I do all my surfacing with it from small to large pieces and it works great. You can get very smooth surfaces, specially if you sand afterwards with an orbital sander.

It's well worth the time to build it for someone who doesn't have a real thicknesser.

Araz

Yeah, cause I've got a 3/16" spruce top that I'm about to glue on, and it's no that the top isn't flat... it's just that since its such a soft wood with all those grain lines perpendicular to the center line at the edge it's just got LITTLE places where not ALL of it closes tight to a gapless seal (TINY gaps, no bigger than like.. rosewood grain). I was hoping I could just use my palm sander and get all this out...

Chris