Anyone Have A Roland Cube 30

cunnins4

Hi,

I'm finally upgrading my ultra terrible setup from an absolutely dogshit strat copy and a "vantage" 10w muddy useless no tone block. I've just bought an Epiphone LP Standard, and i'm gonna stick better pups in it, and so i've about €250 to splash out on a new amp. I've read reviews on the Roland Cube 30 and everyone seems to think it's a great amp.

I was just wondering what anyone else thought? I tried one with an epi lp standard in the guitar shop yesterday and i was very impressed, but i'd be impressed by pretty much anything after that other block of crap i've been using for five years. I didn't get a chance to play with it as much as i wanted to in the shop, so i didn't get a chance to sample everything it can do.

I just want an amp for practicing, not gigging just yet and i play classic rock and some metal. I also have a zoom 707II to use with it. Does anyone have any experience with these amps?

Cheers lads,

bouli

Hello - I bought a Cube 30 on Ebay a few weeks ago and I'm very impressed with it. I read a lot about them on another guitar forum - I kept seeing them mentioned in different postings - so I decided to try one out. A great little amp for the money. The effects are pretty basic and the controls might leave a bit to be desired, but the tone is really good. If you already use some other types of effects boxes, the built-ins will work nicely with them. I've had a Line6 Flextone for a year or so, and I like it, but the Roland is so simple (and light, easy to move) that I tend to use it most of the time now. I haven't taken it to play out anywhere yet, but I think it'd handle a jam setting - maybe even a small gig if it was miked. I recommend it.

I recommend a footswitch. Since the controls are so basic, a footswitch gives you a little more versatility (SP?). You can use 2 switches via a stereo plug or a y-connector with a stereo plug and that will let you switch from the clean channel to the 'modeled' channel and turn whichever effect you've chosen on or off. Like I say, basic, but things can get so complicated these days - eh?

I recommend a footswitch. Since the controls are so basic, a footswitch gives you a little more versatility (SP?). You can use 2 switches via a stereo plug or a y-connector with a stereo plug and that will let you switch from the clean channel to the 'modeled' channel and turn whichever effect you've chosen on or off. Like I say, basic, but things can get so complicated these days - eh?

Yeh, that damn zoom pedal's a nightmare! sooooo complicated! still good though! thanks for the replies. Think it's a definite purchase, just gonna keep my eyes on ebay and in the local papers to see if i can get me one of those little boxes. once i get that i just have to become a better player! :D God knows i won't be puttin down the lp much so lots of practicing!!! ha!

cheers,

bouli

Yes, reliabity was one thing that Roland users mentioned over and over in the reviews that I read. What they said was that they had no idea how good Roland customer service was because they'd never had a reason to call them. I'm considering getting a second one for in the house - the first is out in the workshop - and if you gigged with two . . . ?