Gibson Firebird (non-reverse)

I want one - can't afford one. So, I'm gonna build one. The problem? I need body measurements and such. :-/

I'll probably go with an original pickup set up so all that is fine.. but the body looks rather wide/long.. and I'd like to get it as close as possible.

Anyone ever notice the small similarites between the lower bouts of a Jazzmaster and a Firebird? Weird...

here, theres ur template.

Nope, I'm looking for a NON-Reverse :-( They're a bit less popular and the Reverse Firebird is actually quite different than just flipping the "Reverse" style

I might just have to eye ball it. :D

get a good front on pic, the bigger the better, put it in photoshop and scale it up to full size using a dimension you already know ie scale length.

Biggest head-on image I could find.  Hope this helps.

img10291399703.jpeg

Good idea Marzocchi, thank you!

Thank you TGwaH for finding the pic!

Haha.. I'm gonna DL a Paint Shop demo and go to work taking measurements!

End to end of the stop tail piece = 4"

Niceness.

Thanks again guys!

This method could be used for any guitar, actually.

Guest AlexVDL

That pic is far from head on... I'll try to find you a better one, and I'll post it in this post.

firebird1

firebird2

use photo shop to lighten up

even this pic is good enough

Edit: I resized the last one a bit and rotated it... you can see everything ok. The nut, the 12th fret and the bridge placement. From there on you can calculate the scale factor.

non rev firebird

Edited by AlexVDL

That pic is far from head on... I'll try to find you a better one, and I'll post it in this post.

firebird1

firebird2

use photo shop to lighten up

even this pic is good enough

Edit: I resized the last one a bit and rotated it... you can see everything ok. The nut, the 12th fret and the bridge placement. From there on you can calculate the scale factor.

non rev firebird

Thanks Alex!

I have a huge piece of Basswood that is going to become my Firebird. I may plane it down to about 5/4" and add a 1/4" maple top. It's not going to be a dead rip off, especially with a flame top, binding, ect.. But I'm overly paranoid about not getting the body shape right. heh