Les Trem Worth Getting?

Hughes

if any of you know anything about this little wrap around tailpiece trem and how it sounds, id be very interested to hear.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...e_Tremolos.html

every since i got my mockingbird, ive been wanting a trem for it but i dont want to mangle it by putting a floyd rose in it. so if anyone could tell me if this is worth it or if you know a cheaper/better idea?

thanks

if any of you know anything about this little wrap around tailpiece trem and how it sounds, id be very interested to hear.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...e_Tremolos.html

every since i got my mockingbird, ive been wanting a trem for it but i dont want to mangle it by putting a floyd rose in it. so if anyone could tell me if this is worth it or if you know a cheaper/better idea?

thanks

This is a much different trem from a floyd rose --no way you're going to be able to dive bombs with the Les Trem. These are for people who don't want to screw holes into their precious Les Pauls...it's for flutter-type, Bigsby-like vibrato sounds...

ok thanks, just wanted some oppinions.

i dont want to do anything, such as routing, on my guitar. as stupid as this may sound, i saved up for a while to get that guitar and it may be one of the cheapest guitars but it means alot to me.

thanks for the info though

Nope. The problem is that there's nothing to really stabilize the trem. With a Strat-style trem, at least with the way it's designed you can go relatively insane with it if the guitar is set up properly. With the Les-trems, the spring is the only stabilizing influence with no real fulcrum or knife edge. Pull up too much, spring falls out. Push down too far, strings fall out and/or guitar won't come back up to tune.

The Les-trem is good for mild flutters and a little vibrato, but isn't anywhere close to the capabilities of even the cheapest Strat-style trem.

Myka is a builder here that uses the Stetsbar.

I think he mentioned that it is a drop in for tom-style bridge. No routing needed and he says they work great.

Myka builds some great looking, highly detailed guitars, and gives reliable advice, IMO so I trust what he says.

I've never played a guitar with a stetsbar though.

Here's a link to a guitar that Myka completed with the stetsbar Mykaguitars.com #22.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for and it's not a cheap upgrade but it's high enough quality for Myka's guitars. B)

:D

Edit: :D Forgot the link to the Stetsbar site; www.stetsbar.com

If you really, and I mean really, need a trem-equipped guitar, buy a cheap $99 Strat clone and throw a Motherbucker or a Lawrence L-500XL in it. Setup the nut properly and triple-wrap the strings on the tuners and you'll have a pretty good setup until you can afford something a little more high-brow.

That's not weird at all. In fact, using your existing Mockingbird to help you build a new one is probably a good idea.

I'd use the measurements and outline from your current guitar to make some nice MDF or fiberboard templates you can use for the new guitar. I would keep your first from-scratch guitar simple, though. A neck through is a great idea, but you may consider not using laminates the first time out.