Cab Project

slayer63636

funny how this thread started by me asking where i could get a 15 inch speakers. anyway something really sweet happened to me today. i told my dad about this project and out of nowhere i got a call from his drinking buddy telling me to come down to his place. when i got there he GAVE me a project that he never finished. its a bookshelf that he never got a to finish since he "didnt have time". its 30Hx30Wx15.5D. he said its made from MDF. i mean what are the odds of this happening??? this box is very close to my original demensions, the only catch was i had to bring it home and getting it to fit in my corolla wasent the easyest thing in the world.

Oh, dose anyone know where i can get tolex? my top three picks are: black (of course), red, or if i can find it checker board pattern.

That's excelllent, slayer! And I know what you mean about the Corolla - the other guys in the band gave me much "soccer-mom" grief about my old beater minivan - until the first gig when I tweaked our entire PA system and two half stacks into it! :D

Tolex is available from AES, VibroWorld, US Speaker, Penn Fabrication, Stew-Mac, Reason: Amps, and probably dozens of other places I'm not familiar with. It's not cheap, and it's not easy to install, but it sure looks good if you do it right!

ive have prenty of expreince with with capreting, and other types of covering but never tolex. hopefuly i can do it right.

You'll do fine. It's pretty easy to work with. Just make double sure of all your cuts before you do them! :D

The port's location isn't critical, so long as there's some free air space in front of it - while it's probably not practical, you could even put it in the cab's top, pointing upwards at the ceiling. If the back is convenient, and it's not flush up against the wall, no reason not to use it. Ditto for side panels.

I was wanting to put the port behind the grille cloth, but I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to put it somewhere else. I read that it actually sounds better when it's rear ported anyway.

That's excelllent, slayer! And I know what you mean about the Corolla - the other guys in the band gave me much "soccer-mom" grief about my old beater minivan - until the first gig when I tweaked our entire PA system and two half stacks into it!  :D

Tolex is available from AES, VibroWorld, US Speaker, Penn Fabrication, Stew-Mac, Reason: Amps, and probably dozens of other places I'm not familiar with. It's not cheap, and it's not easy to install, but it sure looks good if you do it right!

Lovekraft, you're my hero. I've been looking for I don't know how long to find a place that sells butterfly latches. Penn-Elcom is the first place I've ever been able to find 'em. Maybe I'm just incompetent :D.

• 2 weeks later...

i got some new speakers. i got some emeince Man o Wars. i was told that these are the knockoff of the celestion 75 watt ones. well they suck ass.they sound thin compated to my cheap 30 watt bottom of the line celestions. i guess im gonna keep em temp. on the bottom. anyways i was wondering what are some good speakers? im after a dave mustaine live type sound. iv read that he uses the celestion g12t-75. i only got the man o wars because they were an "improved version" of that speaker. can anyone make any recomendations?

Sorry to throw this in on a speaker thread but luvcraft's comment about the minivan needed a response. I get so much crap about driving a 1991 Mazda MPV until a big stack of crap needs to be moved. THEN I am cool. It has a class 3 trailer hitch on it and has been know to pull a 2-axle stage equipment trailer 200 miles when the big pickup trucks were in for their fix-or-repair-daily routine. Not pretty, not fast but can get it there like a FedEx truck. I am not old enough to be called a soccer-mom yet but I can see it coming.

i got some new speakers. i got some emeince Man o Wars. i was told that these are the knockoff of the celestion 75 watt ones. well they suck ass.they sound thin compated to my cheap 30 watt bottom of the line celestions. i guess im gonna keep em temp. on the bottom. anyways i was wondering what are some good speakers? im after a dave mustaine live type sound. iv read that he uses the celestion g12t-75. i only got the man o wars because they were an "improved version" of that speaker. can anyone make any recomendations?

Well, then buy some G12T-75s. :D

Sometimes, the only way to get the sound you want is to spend the money to get the real deal.

Edited by Paul Marossy

• 3 weeks later...

I found a way to add "a port" to my existing speaker cabs. Instead of one 4" round port, I went with two right triangles with the equivalent cross sectional area of a 4" round port below the speaker. This way, they fit in the space that I have to work with. It definitely improved the bottom end in this case. I made the ports out of 1/4" plywood and beveled the edges and glued them together and to the speaker baffle with some TightBond wood glue. Check it out:

SpkrPortF1.JPG

SpkrPortF2.JPG

SpkrPortR.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an old Sound City cab (Hiwatt before Hiwatt) that I believe is built out of 1 1/4" Baltic Burch. It's got two holes in the front that are about 2" each, one at the top and one at the bottom. As far as four 12's go, this has been my favourite sounding cab of all time. I'm looking to build something with 10's though.

I know the old Orange cabs were made out of some pretty thick wood. I've always had it in my head that Hiwatts and Orange cabs sound so good because the wood was so thick. Don't know where I got that from, but hearing everybody talk about mdf has got me interested. This cab is crazy heavy.

Billy