Sourcing Case Hardware

Lately I've been trying to develop my hardcase building skills, both for guitars and equipment. However, I'm having a LOT of trouble sourcing one of the materials...

Where on earth do you get the black, plasticlike coating that is found on a lot of instrument cases (it's also pretty similar to a lot of stuff found on amps)? For example:

rg140.jpg

I can't find this stuff anywhere, and I need some kind of durable weather resistant coating for my case. If nobody knows where I can get this stuff from, any other ideas for what I could use?

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I've been trying to use some kind of cloth-backed vinyl, but it's way too hard to work with; it's has too much stretch, and it wants to curl up all the time.

Carpet would be good, and not too hard to work with, but I'm not a fan of the look of it.

I'll see if I can get onto tubeampparts about postage to Australia.

Thanks again :D

You can actually buy a spray on textured paint, i will be using it on some non guitar related projects so i will let you know how it turns out :D

There are lots of spray on, textured paints that are real cool, and really easy to work with, heres a few ideas on what to look for:

Make it Stone! (a paint that when applied correctly makes the object look like stone, works pretty good, kinda runny though...)

Tremclad (??) Textured Paint (i think its Tremclad, not quite sure) I used this once, and i had mediocre resaults (spelling?) other then that, i cant complain for a 10 dollar can of spray paint :D

Curtis

I've been trying to use some kind of cloth-backed vinyl, but it's way too hard to work with; it's has too much stretch, and it wants to curl up all the time.
Are you using contact cement? I've seen both real tolex and vinyl aoutomotive upholstery used , and while it's a pain, it does work.

Hrm, a week earlier and I would have just mailed you what I had left in my closet. I gave a bunch away recently. (It was extra from covering my cabinet, I had had it forever.)

Any custom hot rod type places in your area? I got some tolex through a guy I knew (he just ordered extra when they were getting some and I paid him) They used to use tolex on the roofs or trim of some autos, or something, I guess, I don't really know. For some reason, this place used it. It was tolex, as well, not upholstery vinyl.