Planning My Project

Hughes

hey all, before i get started i want to say to those who care (**Wes***)I HAVE A JOB NOW AND CAN AFFORD QUALITY MATERIAL :D im just trying to locate a local copy of Hiscocks book.

ok anyways, my design is almost complete and will have pictures tomorrow and will be posting them as soon as its finished :D

my plan is a neck through since i always wanted one.

Wood:Mahogany wings with multiple neck laminates

Bridge:Black floyd rose

Pickups:EMG or Duncans(need some good models)

Layout:One humbucker with 1 tone 1 volume

Tuners:Black Schaller's

Inlay:Either 13 on the 13th fret or a celtic cross

My biggest problem at this point is making the neck laminates. i have multiple saw mills here and wood suppliers but i have no idea what to ask them. i want maple to be the two sides. the purple heart will be thinner but second in line. for the middle, i want a fat ebony stripe. how would i get this wood? ive been wondering for weeks now and cant seem find a good method of getting this wood while not wasting much of it.

stew mac is the way to go for hiscocks book i can tell you that much, as for your woods, look around your area for hardwood shops and ask if they have what your looking for, if they dont you may ask some of the guys around the site and see if they can help you out, either way good luck building and show us pictures when the time comes!

thanks, i know the places here will have wood for me...i can get it custom ordered to fit my needs. what i am really worried about is getting the right thickness and such. would i get the thickness to how how wide i want it to look and then just split the wood with the table saw to get the right size as the body?

what i am really worried about is getting the right thickness and such. would i get the thickness to how how wide i want it to look and then just split the wood with the table saw to get the right size as the body?

I would suggest trying to find the wood (laminates) as close to specs as possible.....

Body wood (wings) is mostly easy.......buy 1 3/4" planed body pieces or plane 2" body blanks close to specs. Any woodworking shop can do this for you. Decent planer and you're in business.

Neck laminates is different story. A planer capable of handling body pieces might not be capable of handling thin laminates. The planer in woodshop I normally use isn't capable of handling anything under 10mm. (With 25.4mm=1")

Best for getting lamintes to specs would be using a thickness sander.....this way you can get the laminates as thin as you want without worrying about snapping the piece.

Splitting wood with table saw will be very difficult job. Specially with thin laminates. If I were you I would try to locate thickness sander in area.

Leaves you with how you want the laminates to look like......you can always draw this out in Cad or just on paper and as a little kid color the areas in with the different colors. With neck specs you can see what looks good to you. Remember that neck is more narrow on top then at the base.......something to consider with laminates running full neck length. (not that I know how they could run otherwise)

Hope this helps.

Edited by RGGR

yeah i have access to all the tools i need. the planer can do fretboard thickness also.

that part also worried me with laminates about the taper. how would i get the laminates to "run" with the neck instead of cutting them out?

lol all I see is that you like pointy guitars. You might want to draw out an existing body (one you like ofcourse) and mod it to your 'own' design. That way the balance is already there. Just a thought (and how I did 'my' design)...

As for the laminates... I wanted to use some of the scrap that came from the body to veneer the heastock with. I made a deadsimple jig that worked like a charm. My veneer on the headstock is 1.8mm (0.07") and I did a test on getting it to 1mm... and that worked perfectly. All I need to get it that thin is a sharp routerbit and patience...

The EasyAsHell Jig - First Results (this is 2mm).

If you set it up correctly, it'll be flawless. Tapering the middle laminate I'll do on my next project (lol the second that is)... should be an easy mod on a jig much like the one shown... i think.

ok, i am either going to make a neck through King V, Mockingbird, or a Beast of a Bird (mockingbird mixed with a Beast).

when i buy my wood, im going to need the neck to be the same thickness as my body wood, correct? well how do i get the actual neck part 3/4" AND have a headstock angle? i also do not need a neck angle, right?

thanks

Edited by Hughes

i was thinking of doing a flame job like this if i cant find any quilt/flame maple that i like:

kingvcorey.jpg

id do it black+red flames though...how much would that cost? since i have no expirience with paint so yeah...

Edited by Hughes

well actually i want some nice quilt/flame maple...but if i am unable to get some (for whatever reasons) i will end up just painting the guitar black and doing some flames like that.

if anyone is interested why i want to do THOSE flames, its because a guitarist from one of my favorite bands has that exact guitar :D