Need Help Chooising A Finish

possum1284

Shellac's pretty delicate, though... it tends to get messed up pretty easily by sweat/hand oils, or alcohol, or free water. It is totally safe, though - the only reason you'd need gloves for it is if you used denatured alcohol. Shellac is actually approved by the FDA for use as a pill coating.

Shellac's pretty delicate, though... it tends to get messed up pretty easily by sweat/hand oils, or alcohol, or free water. It is totally safe, though - the only reason you'd need gloves for it is if you used denatured alcohol. Shellac is actually approved by the FDA for use as a pill coating.

Yep, check your gum/pills/whatever, odds are they've got shellac in/on em. Shellac's affected by pouring alcohol on it, sure, but less and less as it ages (and gets progressively harder), but it's not as fragile as many people seem to think it is. On the body of an electric, it may not be ideal, but oil's not going to provide more protection, really. Once it's cured, shellac is as unaffected by water/humidity as any laquer is; you get those 'wet' while spraying, and you'll get plenty of blushing. I have pretty corrosive sweat (not the worst ever, but pretty bad; eat through strings pretty quickly), and I use shellac on my necks. Feels great, works perfectly, doesn't get eaten away by anything, and I've never heard of people having problems with it that way.

It's about keeping the wood looking nice, and making it easier to clean/preventing dirt getting in there (no finishes really prevent moisture/humidity from affecting wood, unless that's specifically what it's designed to do).

Also, still wear gloves, even is using 'regular' alcohol; denatured is really bad, but regular 'ol alcohol remains a poison.

Edited by mattia

Yep, check your gum/pills/whatever, odds are they've got shellac in/on em. Shellac's affected by pouring alcohol on it, sure, but less and less as it ages (and gets progressively harder), but it's not as fragile as many people seem to think it is. On the body of an electric, it may not be ideal, but oil's not going to provide more protection, really. Once it's cured, shellac is as unaffected by water/humidity as any laquer is; you get those 'wet' while spraying, and you'll get plenty of blushing. I have pretty corrosive sweat (not the worst ever, but pretty bad; eat through strings pretty quickly), and I use shellac on my necks. Feels great, works perfectly, doesn't get eaten away by anything, and I've never heard of people having problems with it that way.

It's about keeping the wood looking nice, and making it easier to clean/preventing dirt getting in there (no finishes really prevent moisture/humidity from affecting wood, unless that's specifically what it's designed to do).

Also, still wear gloves, even is using 'regular' alcohol; denatured is really bad, but regular 'ol alcohol remains a poison.

Huh... that's just what I've picked up from furniture makers who use shellac guessing about how it'd work on high-wear spots like guitar necks, but if you use it and it works, I may have to try it. My next guitar's going to have a rosewood neck with ebony fretboard, so it's getting at most some lemon oil, but I may try it on the limba and wenge body. It'd probably help bring out the slight flame to the limba better than tru-oil would - things really seem to glow under shellac finishes.

• 2 weeks later...
Denatured alcohol is, and alcohol, straight, is a poison. Not great, but not that nasty. I always wear gloves anyway. Once cured, it's perfectly safe.

Grain filler is a seperate issue from the finish of your choice. Shellac will not fill the grain for you.

so does shellac require a grain filler? im looking for a finish to use on mahogany that does not require a grain filler if there is one.

Adam

If you want a smooth, glassy finish on mahogany you have to fill the grain with something. Any finish will fill the grain if you put enough of it on there, but that's not always advisable.

The best thing to do is decide on what kind of finish you want, then go from there.

BTW, the answer to practically every question you've asked in the last couple weeks is available in pinned topics here or in tutorials on the main site.

If you do a traditional French polish with shellac, oil and pumice you don't need to use grain filler.

Google French polish.

There are a couple of sites for this old but useful technique.

I had an English finisher who worked with me who got amazing results this way.

It's also great aerobic exercise.

BTW, the answer to practically every question you've asked in the last couple weeks is available in pinned topics here or in tutorials on the main site.

Hell, just about every question he's asked has been answered in the last topics he posted. I'm starting to wonder if he is just trying to push buttons. :D