Planing Figured Lumber

When you plane a piece of figured lumber wet the surface with a damp sponge and let it soak for a minute. (like you would to raise the grain before sanding) then run it through the planer while still damp. Wet and let soak for every pass. It GREATLY reduces tearout to the point where it is almost non-existant.

Hmm...I REALLY need a method to avoid massive tearout with a curly maple neck blank I have here. If I try to plane it i get holes ripped out that are like 2-3mm deep. Are you sure your method is a good idea though? The water might cause the blank to change shape which will result in a piece of wood that is not really flat after it has dried again. Is this not a problem?

For the neck blank make a 15" long sanding block and attach 80 or 100 grit abrasive to it with spray glue. I use a block like that for all kinds of things here and there. (one can never have too many kinds of sanding blocks!)

You'll be surprised at how fast you'll be able to level that neck blank by hand. Yeah, it might take you an extra 10 minutes, but it's worth it to not take the risk associated with a planer...

-Doug