Ca In Canada

TGwaH

I was just reading up on Craig Lavin's tut on the main page (because I'm doing a rather simple inlay on my first fret board) and I gots to thinking -- StewMac can't ship CA out side of the US so I need to find an alternate source. So I turn to Lee Valley for everything I can't find.

Now, for gluing up the inlay face down Mr. Lavin uses CA from StewMac, and I'm wondering for those of you that have used it which would be most like it?

Hot Stuff or Super T & Special T? Hot Stuff has a 5 second bond time compared with Super T at 10 to 25 seconds and Special T at 30 to 50 seconds. Are those bond times too quick? Too short? Just right?

Help a brother out.

Cheers,

Jonathan

I use Devcon "Zip Grip", available in 1 oz. size at Industrial Plastics and Paint. As far as which one is "best", it all depends on its application. I also use superglue in gel form, good for spreading out onto a surface and a little less messy than the low viscosity stuff. Low visc. is good for "whickering" into cracks. My preference for bond time would definitely be a little longer than 5 sec., :D . If I mis-fit a joint I sure don't want to have to break it open again, but then I don't want to wait more than 30 sec. for bonding time either. Thirty seconds is a long time. :D

Edited by Southpa

I agree with the above posts, go for the model shop quality CA (much better then super glue). I also build Scale Ships, so I have a decent supply and experience with this stuff, and it holds increadibly well. It can also be disolved with Acetone should you glue yourself to yourself, or anything else for that matter (don't laugh, it happens). The biggest problem with CA is though, it starts to breakdown after 20 or so years, from what I've been told. This probably isn't a concern due to it being used for an Inlay which is going to be snuggly in place, but it model ship building we aim for a 100 years without needing repair, so CA can cause problems (mostly due to the joints being under pressure from the rigging). Best of luck with the inlays though.