Guitar Wiring Problem

clantz

Hi, I’m a long time lurker of the forums (great resource), I apologize for posting for the first time with a question without posting an introduction.

I’ve recently encountered a very frustrating guitar wiring problem. The guitar has 2 humbuckers with one volume, one tone and a toggle switch. This is the wiring diagram I’ve followed: http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectron...-/wdu_hh3t11_01

The problem I’m getting is hum/noise from the neck and bridge positions. The noise is about the same as what you normally get from single coil pickups. However when the toggle switch is in the middle position with both pickups engaged the noise is significantly reduced. I would expect this type of thing with single coils in a tele type setup but not with humbuckers.

I’ve been over my wiring, even changed the pots, added shielding tape to the control cavity and completely re-wired everything and I still experience the same problem. Has anyone had a similar issue to this or any ideas about what I should look at to diagnose the problem?

Thanks

what pickups are you using. did you check the pickups to make sure they had the same wiring code as the ones you included in your link i realize you said you checked the wirign but alot of times i find that i just didnt' double check the pickup itself instead of going on instinct now i always check the pickup itself. i messed up a guitar once because new dimarzio's are supposed to be blah blah blah.. well guess what this one was made on a monday i guess cause it was wrong........ :D

I’m using Duncans. I have the Green and Bare wires attached to the ground, the black wires connected to the switch and the red and white wires are soldered together and insulated.

Yah there’s probably something I’ve missed, but its frustrating going through the whole exercise twice to come up with the same result. How can I check my wiring with a multimeter?

Edited by clantz

what pickups are you using.  did you check the pickups to make sure they had the same wiring code as the ones you included in your link i realize you said you checked the wirign but alot of times i find that i just didnt' double check the pickup itself instead of going on instinct now i always check the pickup itself.  i messed up a guitar once because new dimarzio's are supposed to be blah blah blah..  well guess what this one was made on a monday i guess cause it was wrong........  :D

Yeah, I did that before.. Caused a heck of a buzz, much like a single coil in an unshielded cavity.. That may be something you could try 'cause it sounds a lot like what you've got.. However, the Green to ground and Black to live etc sounds pretty much correct which is rather puzzling.. Still, it's a possible course of action..

As for checking with a multimeter, it'll generally only tell you whether there's a short circuit or a break somewhere in your wiring.. You could double-check the grounding wire to the bridge and see if you circuit is properly grounded to the guitar's bridge..

Hope that helped..

Well I ended up re-wiring everything again. This time I was very careful and double checked each step. I think I may have been using too much wire, after re-wiring and making the connections as short as possible the noise seems to be reduced by quite a bit.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.