I have a good bit a pine around. I think the problem pieces seem to be the ones where the core of the tree is part of the piece of wood (also have this type of thing on some poplar boards).

My mid-60's Fender 2x12 cab is pine. No cracks.

My step-brother still has that hideous pine body he made in the mid-80's. No cracks on that either. Never even had a finish put on it.

"buy better pine". Well, maybe *buying* it is the the problem. I've never had any of the old pieces of pine I found (free, not bought) crack if they were in good shape when I found them. I have seen new pine that seems like balsa wood compared to the old stuff.

Well, seems that there is a huge trend of using KNOTTED pine.

And knots + pine = cracks.

No matter what quality of pine you use, it will crack around the knots. Yo may use no-heartwood-pine, but if it is knotted, it will still crack and that's for sure.

Maybe we should do a research on how to prevent pine from cracking. And maybe the guys who are into building pine body guitars use somekind of stabilizers (except the veneer laminates).