Did Anybody Know About This?

Free Info from StewMac

There is loads of useful info here and even though I can't build a guitar for sometime (my guitar building funds have to go to legal fees.....) I felt I'd share it with everyone..... :D

If I was StewMac, I would have it so you had to buy something in order to get a secret password to view that info. But that's because I'm such a mean guy.

I'd also like a internet forum, where people with good tips and techniques could share info with each other, but no one else could just come along and get the info for nothing (have to give to get).

StewMac is selling products, not info.

The info they provide for free usually includes the use of one or more of their products. Of course, you don't have to buy from them, but chances are, you probably will--and probably end up buying some things you never even knew you needed :D

In this case, their free info actually generates revenue for them!

For the most part, their free info shows me how to build their tools and jigs myself , within reason, of course. I chose to buy their fret-scale rule rather than try to make one, along with over $500 of their other stuff, but that was from just looking at their catalog.

But I did see their super-glue, and said to hell with that, and made my own ! About time that cyanide became good for something.

(just kidding. The last bottle of their super-glue was the best I ever bought. 2 years old, and still works great. Just a little left now. It lasted this long probably because I keep it in a sealed jar when I'm not using it)

And they DO sell info. Ever see the 'trade secrets' on their site ? Well, that's just a sample. You have to buy the 2 'trade secrets' books to see all the rest.

The last bottle of their super-glue was the best I ever bought. 2 years old, and still works great. Just a little left now. It lasted this long probably because I keep it in a sealed jar when I'm not using it

I keep mine in the fridge. I heard it lasts longer kept cold. Do you do this?

The last bottle of their super-glue was the best I ever bought. 2 years old, and still works great. Just a little left now. It lasted this long probably because I keep it in a sealed jar when I'm not using it

I keep mine in the fridge. I heard it lasts longer kept cold. Do you do this?

No, from what I know, once you open it, it shouldn't be kept in the fridge. I've heard *unopended* bottles can be stored in the fridge. Are you storing an open bottle in the fridge ? If so, how long have you been doing that ? (maybe it's ok to do that ?)

Also, as far as I know, it's water in the air that will make this stuff harden up faster, which is why inside the sealed jar, at the bottom, I have a couple packs of that silica gel that absorbs moisture. I figure that will help keep the air in the jar dry. And, what I'll often do, is open the jar, take the glue bottle out, close the jar right away, use the glue (sometimes pouring some into a HDPE type plastic cap, then using a pipette with that), then putting the glue bottle back in the jar asap. I know I'm nuts, but man what a difference from the old days when I'd have super-glue bottles dry up on me within 3 months.

It stayed quite clean for a very long time. Now the bottle has a "cloudy" look to it. The problem is the cap. I bought an extra cap way back, because I switch caps the minute one gets clogged (then the clogged one goes in a jar to soak in acetone, so it will be clean again). Well, the problem is the cap that covers the tip (which is red, so you probably know which exact part I'm talking about). I should have 2 right ?, because I bought an extra. Well one of those red caps cracked apart right when I bought the glue and the extra cap. So I keep using that one red cap, and it's in baaaad shape right now.

Now that you've reminded me of it, I think I'm going to find something to temporarily cover the tip and soak that red cap in acetone, because when that cap fits well over the tip, the bottle stays quite clean.

And it's also because the bottle is close to being empty, so I've gotten very lazy about wiping off the tip after use, and the usual hitting the bottle against the table to knock glue back down from the spout.

I also read that you can test how good the glue still is, by shaking the bottle and counting how many seconds it takes for all the bubble to go away. Can't remember exactly, but I think if all bubbles are gone within 3 seconds, the glue should be good.

I often find out it's still good by getting fingers glued together with it.

Super-glue seems to find paths that the human eye easily over-looks, then it's " HOW THE HELL DID IT GET THERE ? " time.