Cut Your Angled Headstock

Like mattia, I get my headstock wood to a little over 1/2" before I glue the scarf joint on.  I use a bandsaw to do this, and block sand to smooth out the marks the bandsaw leaves.  Man there are millions of ways to build.. lol

Yep, that's half the fun. Work with the tools you've got, although I heartily reccomend learning to use a handplane to anyone. There are times when it's simply the fastest, cleanest, and best way to get a job done, and it doesn't require a huge amount of monetary investment.

Of course, if I had a bandsaw, I'd use that for a lot of things. And a thickness sander. Mmmm....large stationary power tools.

headstock.jpg

This is basically how I do it. A rough drawing of the first couple of steps I do.

If you don't have a bandsaw though, you can use whatever you have to cut the angle. After you get these steps done, you can either use handplane or the router smoothing jig I was talking about, to make the scarf joint surfaces nice and flat.

Hope this helps some.

Matt

so after you cut the scarf you take a band saw or whatever to make it 1/2"...and that would also shorten the scarf a bit am i right?

thanks for the drawing

Yep, that's how I do it. Except with a handsaw and a plane. Otherwise, exactly the same.

And whether it shortens the scarf depends on how you make it. If you glue it on top of the neck, it will shorten the scarf (and, I might add, lengthen the headstock). Stick it on behind the neck shaft, and it really doesn't matter much. I tend to stick it on behind the shaft, so I can cover both joints with veneer, and I don't have a glue line in my neck shaft, although I've done it both ways with good success. Both methods work.

I had a thought this morning...(my confidence levels are rising and I'm starting to think about building the neck for my next project :D )

Anyway, since I have the wood here, why not cut out two cross-sections of the neck --including the angled headstock and heel-- from the same plank of wood.

The two pieces are then glued together to form the neck block. An advantage is you get a nice center line there. And no stinkin' scarf joint.

That's basically how laminated necks are built anyway, right? And I have to assume that a laminated neck will be super-stable too.

You could probably cut the pieces out from the plank in a way that will minimize wastage.

Anyway, since I have the wood here, why not cut out two cross-sections of the neck --including the angled headstock and heel-- from the same plank of wood.

The two pieces are then glued together to form the neck block. An advantage is you get a nice center line there. And no stinkin' scarf joint.

That's basically how laminated necks are built anyway, right? And I have to assume that a laminated neck will be super-stable too.

You could probably cut the pieces out from the plank in a way that will minimize wastage.

Yep, that's how laminated necks are made, as a rule. Start with perfectly flatsawn stock in this case, of course, which leaves you with a quartersawn blank. Generally people use odd numbers of laminates, or at least have a contrasting veneer. Non-veneer, triple lammed (center lam flipped for stability) necks are common, and the joins should be near-on invisible in a wood like mahogany, which lacks super-clear grain lines. If you do it in maple or similar, I'd reccomend contrasting veneer, purely because of the visuals.

This said, when I do laminated necks, I STILL scarf joint. Because a lamination will not in any way solve the short grain in the headstock, and just cutting out a straight bit with a bit of a heel area (also for acoustics) saves more wood than cutting out the single piece. Besides, since I don't have a bandsaw, it's still easier for me to do the scarf (although by now, that's because of practice; I actually enjoy scarfing headstocks, so go figure).

Scarfing is so easy. I'm a complete amateur numpty still, but it wasn't a problem to scarf-joint my neck blank....

Not nearly as problematic as trying to inlay my own fretboard. :D

Greg