How To Protect A New Neck?

zionstrat

Folks-

Doing my first real finish job and am testing top coats of reranch lacquer vs. Varithane and at this point haven't made up my mind which way I'm going.

But I've to a warmoth maple neck coming in anytime and know that I need to seal it to keep the warantee in place, but I'm not sure what to use as I won't be able to get to the neck for a month or more.

Usually I would spray it with sanding sealer- But if I go with varithane later the lacquer sealer underneath would be a problem-

Anyone had to deal with this before?

If it's just going to sit for awhile you don't need to do anything (Warmoth has already dipped the neck in some type of penetrating sealer). If you're going to be playing it right away you'll need to apply a hard finish i.e. lacquer or polyurethane. As you're aware, playing it raw will void the warranty.

Mike

If it's just going to sit for awhile you don't need to do anything (Warmoth has already dipped the neck in some type of penetrating sealer).  If you're going to be playing it right away you'll need to apply a hard finish i.e. lacquer or polyurethane.  As you're aware, playing it raw will void the warranty.

Mike

I didn't realize they had sealed it before they sent it-

So I will need to do a good sanding before I do my finish when the time comes, eh?

Thanks!

M

I have several maple necks that have no finish, either because i have worn it off or i didn't apply it and nothing has ever warped. For a quick finish i would use tung oil. It needs little to apply and is fairly hard wearing, it can also feel beautiful!

Be aware that just using an oil will invalidate Warmoth's warranty.

I tend to think there's probably a boatload of horror stories behind that business policy. Good or bad, I'm sure there's a reason for it. But ultimately, that's the deal. If you don't like it, fine. Take your chances or take your business elsewhere. :D

I'm sure there's a reason behind it, but with (for instance) MusicMan/Ernie Ball selling thousands of maple oil-finished necks out there, and without any horror stories of necks warping or failing (not more so than with any other company, that is), I can't help but wonder if they're simply laying the blame on oil finishes without good, solid reason to. I seriously doubt they've done comparative testing/research.

You don't have to use a sealer unless you want to. Lots of guys here just spray lacquer without sanding sealer.

That neck should be pretty much ready to spray. It's already fretted, right? I'd just lightly sand the back with 320 grit, vacuum it and wipe it down with naptha, then start with the clear coats.

You'd probably get better results with lacquer. Rattlecan polyurethane would work, but it can show witness lines (i.e. you can see where you've sanded through a coat) after you sand it level.

Hope it goes well for you :D

Mike

Dumb question #1...Do you have to mask the frets?

From Warmoth's site:

"As a final note on the subject, maple necks require a finish to preclude neck warpage. The finish is sprayed directly over the frets. It is a tedious task to remove the finish and in many production guitars, it is simply left on them to wear off in use… A fret leveling operation will take this off or the finish may be scraped off each individual fret. Warmoth does not offer either fret leveling or paint removal services."

Not worth the trouble of masking. :D