New Tutorial

" The router is attached to the sled by it's edge guide, using one of the edge guide bars inserted through it's channel in the router base, and through two corresponding holes in the sled "

what if ur router doesn't have these kinds of attachments?

" The router is attached to the sled by it's edge guide, using one of the edge guide bars inserted through it's channel in the router base, and through two corresponding holes in the sled "

what if ur router doesn't have these kinds of attachments?

you could always build a jig to hold the router that would replace the existing router base. Most routers have a base plate that screws onto the actual router body, this is usually held with 4 to 6 bolts, build a new plate that has a second plate at 90 degrees to it that would mount to the sled.

sorry about all the white background in the picture, I couldn't get it to crop, it's just done in Paint, I hate that program, time to get a real one LOL!!!!

router_mount.jpg

niiiiice skills there LGM :D , actually u read my mind, i just got some materials to do just that. I just baught some industrial plexi glass that's 3/16 thick (the thickest they had at home depot) and i'll make the new baseplate out of that, and just leave some wings on it to screw into two blocks of wood to hold the router at 90 degrees just lik u have here (instead of triangles i'll have big blocks)

think that'll hold'er?

one thing to keep in mind when building fixtures for routers, ALWAYS build it heavier than you think you need it, the amount of torque from a router is amazing, and they are heavy! I would personally use 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for the bast personally, I don't know if 3/16" plexi will hold it or not, depending on the size of your router

plywood would seem to deep and i might not have enough of the bit sticking out for the full range of motion.. and it seems a bit to i duno.. in precise... i can always do it out of wood if the plexiglass isn't strong enough

Plywood is no less precise than plexi, it's only as accurate as you make it. You can buy much longer bits too :D I just suspect that 3/16" plexi might move a bit to much on you, the other thing to keep in mind, is that a high frequency vibration, along with the cutting vibration (chatter) and load on the cutter may cause the plexi to break, it's good stuff, but it doesn't do great with high frequency vibration and loads. It will be very dependant on how much plexi you have below the router base itself (the area between the bottom edge of the router and the sled for the radius gauge itself.)

all very true.... i guess i'm just more comfortable working with plexi... i find i can be more precise with it... but i doo wish i had some 1/4 inch... anyways i'm thinking if i put the size 90 degree blocks close enough, that it should support it well enough.. the plexi glass will also allow me to see everything that's going on, so i think i'm going to make a regular circle one for normal hand routing jobs.

routerplexijig.jpg