Buttons And Switches

bmxican47

Howdy everybody,

As my strat project moves along (slowly) I find myself with more minor setbacks and questions (its more fun this way) and...well, here I am again. This time it has to do with electronics. My strat is HH and will be fairly modest. I want one master volume and one master tone (eliminating the original MV on strats that is always in my way) using the bottom two holes. So far so good. Im planning on using a three-way selector (bridge, bridge/neck, neck)...pretty basic. Now, my real question has to do with putting in a momentary volume kill witch. I've toyed with the idea of a toggle, but I am attracted to thought of using a momentary button (you dont see many buttons on guitars). Now my problem of course is finding a button. Every place I've gone and everything I have found on the net is too big/bulky. I want something low profile and black. Its seems weird to me that I cant find anything like this when I think about how prevelant buttons are in our daily lives, but every electronic store seems to have the same bulky button. Any ideas? Websites?

Also, another concern that now arises is placement of the momentary button (supposing I ever find one :D ) I could put it where the normal master volume goes, but this would contradict not using this hole unless the button is low profile. Hmmm. Input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Ok... I went down to radioshack to look at what they had and it turns out I found a couple that werent so bulky. :D I actually think I found one that i like...after reviewing the previously posted topics Ive come to the conclusion that what I need is a SPST momentary button that is normally closed. I would just like somebody to verify this before I go to work. Thanks guys.

Joe

normally closed means it makes no sound unless you press the button, i think you want normally open wich would cut out when pressed.

heres what i found, i dont know if this is  "bulky" http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?c...lack&category0=

Ok, you are right, that is what I want. Kind of relieving because the NC buttons are not quite as cool looking. I found this one

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp...button%20switch

and I like the way it looks. (type in "spst pushbutton switch" in the search box if the link doesnt show the picture. Its the first one in all black. Thanks for the reply.

Actually, "normally closed" momentary means when nothing is being done to it, it is "closed" which means making contact or, "on". It would go "open" or "off", when the button was pushed. Then "close" or turn "on" when you let go of the button.

"Closed" means making contact, and "open" means not making contact.

You would want a normally closed, momentary SPST for your "kill switch" unless you wanted the guitar to make no sound unless you were depressing the button.

You would use a "normally open" switch for a door bell.

Actually, "normally closed" momentary means when nothing is being done to it, it is "closed" which means making contact or, "on".  It would go "open" or "off", when the button was pushed.  Then "close" or turn "on" when you let go of the button.

"Closed" means making contact, and "open" means not making contact.

You would want a normally closed, momentary SPST for your "kill switch" unless you wanted the guitar to make no sound unless you were depressing the button.

You would use a "normally open" switch for a door bell.

Ok, so Im back where I was. Crap. Im going to search some more and see if I can find the same button in a NC model. Grrrr.. Thanks for the input.

Joe

Thanks for the input.

You're welcome.

It might be tough to find one that has the right size button, and is not too long under the pickguard for the body route.

If I get it right, you are wanting to be able to push the button off and on really quickly, and go" na na na na na na..." right? It might actually be more difficult to do that really fast with a push button than a toggle, but I don't really know.

:D Here we go again - you definitely want a NO switch, wired to short to ground when closed - implementing a kill switch by opening the circuit is just inviting noise and RFI (just like when you unplug your guitar from the cable without turning off the amp). Always wire your kill switch to sort the hot lead to ground, unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise (I can't think of one, but there might theoretically be such a situation). That's why tube amps use shorting jacks on the inputs. It's also exactly what happens on a Gibson-style switch when you turn one volume pot all the way down and use the toggle as a kill switch.

:D Here we go again - you definitely want a NO switch, wired to short to ground when closed - implementing a kill switch by opening the circuit is just inviting noise and RFI (just like when you unplug your guitar from the cable without turning off the amp). Always wire your kill switch to sort the hot lead to ground, unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise (I can't think of one, but there might theoretically be such a situation). That's why tube amps use shorting jacks on the inputs. It's also exactly what happens on a Gibson-style switch when you turn one volume pot all the way down and use the toggle as a kill switch.

Ok, so now I am hearing that I want both NO and NC. Can anybody clarify this... Everybody seems to be sure... WHo has actually done this? Thanks again for the input.

Joe

Right. You want, as lovecraft says a switch that when activated will link the hot output to the ground, therefor cutting off all the signal (ie exactly the same as having your volume pot to the floor).

Any toggle switch will work if wired properly. But as for push switches a normally open is the way to go.

LK is right! I wasn't thinking it through. My apologies for confusing the issue.

I am way too busy at this time, and should be leaving these things for people who have the where-with-all to pay full attention to them!

Right on again LK.

Happy Holidays!