Ibanez Parts Compatibility

Hi. I have an Ibanez RG570 neck, 24 frets, AANJ, for 25.5" scale.

I'm looking for a lefty body to have a tremolo type guitar to play, and saw on ebay this one:

Ibanez S470 Lefty body

Ok. Here's my question. I know it might sound stupid, but I'd like to know if the S470 Body, which is routed for 25.5" scale, but 22 frets, would fit my RG 570 AANJ neck, which is 24 frets. And if it doesn't fit, I'd like to know exactly why.

thanks.

And by the way, if anyone has a lefty RG body with AANJ to sell, contact me via e-mail please.

Wouldn't work unless you cut the last two frets off.  With 24 frets, the bridge would be closer to the neck, so it wouldn't intonate correctly.

And it won't work if you cut off the last two frets anyway, as it won't mate to the body correctly. Another thing to realize is even among guitars with AANJ like the RG series, the different model numbers don't have the holes in the same place. For example, an RG 300 series neck won't have the mounting holes in the same place as an RG 500 series neck.

GBT

The heel width is the same on the RG as it is on the S series. Both necks use overhangs for frets 22, 23, and 24. I don't see why you'd have a problem if the scale length and heel dimensions are the same between the two guitars.

As far as the bolt holes and the AANJ, if you have a righty neck going on a lefty body, the contour won't be right and you may have issues with shifting in the pocket. But if it's a lefty on a lefty, you shouldn't have any problems. If the bolt-holes don't line up, fill the ones in the neck and redrill to match the body. Keep in mind the overhang may cover the neck pickup, so you might have to lop off the end of the fretboard if you want to keep a full-size 'bucker in there.

On the all access neck joints on newer post 93 Ibanez Rg's and S's, the neck stays attached to the fingerboard all the way up to the 24th and 22nd frets respectively, if we were talking pre 94 ibanez necks there wouldn't be any problem that I can tell. Check out the pictures of the all access neck heel compared to the original neck heel. http://jemsite.com/jem/neckjoint.htm

Galen.

So, if I understand well, since my AANJ doesn't have a overhang for frets 22-24 (the neck stays attached to the fingerboard till the end), it would screw in, but it wouldn't work because it would change the scale length.

I had a rg470 body before, and the neck and the body fitted perfectly, the holes were at the same place. Only that now the body is screwed up so I need to replace it.

I added a figured maple veneer on the body, stained it black, sanded, than stained red. Was great looking. I was applying the sealer, on top, the on the back. I did the back on a humid day, and the newspaper I used to protect the front fusioned with the sealer, so it ruined my job. Furthermore, to store the guitar, I attached the body and the neck, so that it would fit in a gigbag and take up less space, and realized the body got sanded off too much on top, so the neck was higher than the neck pocket. Next summer I might try to veneer a body again, but I'd be more careful when sanding the finish off.