Carving A Neck Pocket The Old Fashioned Way...

Boggs

I am finding I can only work on guitars after 11:00pm when my wife goes to work so I don't wake her up with the noise of the woodworking... Here are a few shots of me carving the neck pocket into my prototype small body travel guitar. Koa top and back with Cuban mahogany chambered midsection. Still rough yet obviously... I am finding that 21 fret necks with zero fingerboard overhang are a pain in the ass because now, there is zero margin of error in the butt end of the neck pocket because there is no overhang from the 22nd fret of the fingerboard to hide any mismatch of the pocket and the end of the neck. Live and learn... Neck is being held in place only by friction fit... :D

carveneckpocket1s.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/Gui...eckpocket2s.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/Gui...eckpocket3s.jpg

I am finding that 21 fret necks with zero fingerboard overhang are a pain in the ass because now, there is zero margin of error in the butt end of the neck pocket because there is no overhang from the 22nd fret of the fingerboard to hide any mismatch of the pocket and the end of the neck.

That's why they invented the pickguard! :D:D

That's why they invented the pickguard!  :D  :D

:D I refuse to hide that beautiful koa. Besides, I think you know by now I am not a "cheater!" B)

nice hammer  :D

Actually, that handle has 3-sides in a triangular shape with a fairly large radius on each "flute" so it works perfectly! On the mahogany, it is heavy enough to do the job even on relatively thick cuts (my chisel is extremely sharp) but light enough to have exceptional feel and control. It's perfect!

I'm a natural wood kind of guy, but I will not completely eliminate the idea... If a customer really wants one, of course, I would do it...

...but it's KOA... I bought it while I was in Hawaii... How do you hide that?

Boggs, if you hide that koa I'll hunt you down and make you wear a grass skirt. :D

That's okay... I have the legs for it... I'm not gonna hide it, so don't worry (the koa that is).

I think cole's onto something there...you could do some kind of inlay or purfling or whatever. You can transform that neck pocket into something really classy.

I admit I'm not a huge fan of massive wood grain. Maybe I'm just overdosed on that after spending the last year hanging out in this forum...

I just think that too much wood grain is...boring. I don't care how fancy the flame or the quilt or the grain is, it's just wood. Makes the guitar look like a piece of damn furniture.

But in your case, I'm not talking about some huge pickguard that's going to cover the entire guitar. There are tons of pickguard designs out there, things that work with the shape of the guitar, and the hardware, and the grain of the wood too to transform the slab of wood into a piece of art.

Then again, I'm a huge fan of just about everything Gretsch, so you can see where I'm coming from :D

Thanks for all the input, guys! I am going to first try and make the pocket profile as perfect as I can. If that doesn't work, I may do an inlay of some type.

Mickguard, I do understand your infatuation with pickguards. I have made some clever wood guards in the past one of which was pretty spectacular in repairing an old Giannini Craviola...

I have to admit. You sure are a lot braver than me. lol I can't even imagine trying to make a neck pocket with chisels, and hand tools. Thank god they invented the router, is all I have to say.. :D Looks good though and makes for a very interesting read.

Now for your next assignment...

You must carve out frets using popsicle sticks!!!! Good luck! :D

I have to admit.  You sure are a lot braver than me.  lol  I can't even imagine trying to make a neck pocket with chisels, and hand tools.  Thank god they invented the router, is all I have to say.. :D  Looks good though and makes for a very interesting read.

You must carve out frets using popsicle sticks!!!!  Good luck!  B)

First, I must soak the popsicle sticks in a mineral suspension and let dry. I figure on probably a year of alternately soaking and drying would pretty well infuse the popsicle stick with the minerals needed to harden it to where it could be sharpened to cut... You have to come up with a much tougher assignment, my friend! :D

I have to admit.  You sure are a lot braver than me.  lol   I can't even imagine trying to make a neck pocket with chisels, and hand tools.  Thank god they invented the router, is all I have to say.. B)  Looks good though and makes for a very interesting read.

You must carve out frets using popsicle sticks!!!!  Good luck!  :D

First, I must soak the popsicle sticks in a mineral suspension and let dry. I figure on probably a year of alternately soaking and drying would pretty well infuse the popsicle stick with the minerals needed to harden it to where it could be sharpened to cut... You have to come up with a much tougher assignment, my friend! :D

Hey, I'm just here to help.. :D

Its nice to see folks doing things "ye olde fashioned waye". Having the expertise & patience with using hand tools is true craftsmanship, in my opinion. The expertise with using templates is mainly in the design and getting it right the first time. The actual cutting can be a no-brainer at times. :D

Well, I have been told many times that I have no brains, so I guess I'm on the right track! No... I'm on the wrong track... No... I'm so confused!!

Make sure you have it scary sharp... Actually, if you do decide to test yourself and make something because of what I do, well, that would make my day! :D